Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your iphone and mac must be on the same wifi network

Hi,

I have updated my macbook to yosemite and my iphone to 8.1.

Both devices are on the same wifi network and both logged in with the same iCloud account.

I have the cellular call option on both mac and phone enabled.

Sms relay works with the mac and the handoff function work perfect too.

The only thing I can't get going is to make a phone call from the mac or receive a phone call on the mac.

Its getting really annoying at this stage cuz I just can't figure ir out.

I always get the same error message when I try to make a phone call.

"your iphone and your mac must be on the same wifi network" ( which they are)

Any help welcome.

Thanks

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 2:26 PM

44 replies

Oct 22, 2014 11:44 PM in response to kernling

Hello,

I have encountered the same problem. I've tried everything at home on my router, but here's the kicker when went out to my studio and my phone and mac connected i received a phone call on my mac. Which leaves me to believe its either a router issue or a setting issue in Yosemite that talks to the router. I have a macbook pro Late 2011 and an iphone 5

Oct 24, 2014 8:36 AM in response to kernling

Had this problem for the past week, until now. I had tried all previously mentioned advice, including re-logging into cloud, facetime, etc. Still wasn't working until 10 minutes ago, when, on the third try today...success.

No idea why, but a few days ago on another, similar post, someone else had mentioned that they kept trying multiple times until it worked. Now I can vouch for that stubborn persistence.

Oct 24, 2014 9:46 AM in response to kernling

I was traveling on business this week and only testing with public wi-fi hotspots. It was not working. When I got home today it worked fine on my own wi-fi network. It appears that you can not place a call through a public wifi network (Starbucks, etc). I know that doesn't resolve everyone's issue, but it is good to know for the future.

Oct 24, 2014 9:09 PM in response to kernling

Alright people!!

Just got mines to work! just made my 1st phone call moments ago. I have an At&t 2wire 3600HGV router. I'll show you with pictures as well.
So,

I went to my router settings via (192.168. whatever) and went to

SETTINGS

then to

IP ADDRESS ALLOCATION

I scrolled down until i found my macbook pro (Which is named Just-Mac)

User uploaded file

I decided to change the address assignment to the same as my phone (which is Dj's-Talkbox)

User uploaded file

Then i selected submit and i tried my phone call and BAM it worked.

SO, putting both devices on the same pool worked out the bugs, i know everybody doesn't have the same router, but i hope this helps.

Btw, i have a Macbook pro (Late 2011) with an iPhone 5.

Oct 25, 2014 5:40 AM in response to kernling

I also have this issue. I think it is a router one but can't be sure. Both MBA2014 and 5S connected on the same Wifi network but I get this error message for some reason. Handoff is working fine on browser/document switches so there is some conversation going on between the devices but it only affects the calling function.

Your iphone and mac must be on the same wifi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.