Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notifications preferences don't hold

Small annoyance here, but when I change my notifications preference from banners to alerts, they revert back to banners after restart. Anyone else having that issue?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 6:26 PM

Here are the instructions I got from AppleCare from an Apple Engineer. I'm not sure if the fix was specifically for my machine or if it'll work for someone else. Follow at your own risk.

1. Open the Library folder in your Home folder.

2. In the Library folder, open the Application Support folder.

3. Locate the folder named NotificationCenter. Drag this folder to the desktop.

4. Next, open the Terminal application.

Copy and paste each line of these commands into the Terminal window, in order. Press return after each line:

cd `getconf DARWIN_USER_DIR`

rm -rf com.apple.notificationcenter

killall usernoted; killall NotificationCenter

5. Close the Terminal app.

6. Restart your computer.

The notification preference changes won't stick until you restart a 2nd time after this.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2014 6:26 PM in response to Brad Groom

Here are the instructions I got from AppleCare from an Apple Engineer. I'm not sure if the fix was specifically for my machine or if it'll work for someone else. Follow at your own risk.

1. Open the Library folder in your Home folder.

2. In the Library folder, open the Application Support folder.

3. Locate the folder named NotificationCenter. Drag this folder to the desktop.

4. Next, open the Terminal application.

Copy and paste each line of these commands into the Terminal window, in order. Press return after each line:

cd `getconf DARWIN_USER_DIR`

rm -rf com.apple.notificationcenter

killall usernoted; killall NotificationCenter

5. Close the Terminal app.

6. Restart your computer.

The notification preference changes won't stick until you restart a 2nd time after this.

Nov 8, 2014 11:30 AM in response to Dan Roesser

Hi Dan,

THANK YOU for putting the answer on the Board, it was driving me nuts!

I did the fix, it worked (YAH!) but (as a few others asked):

do you drag (return) the "NotificationCenter" Folder from "Desktop" back into "Library" (in Application Support)?

I just checked in "Library" and there is no "NotificationCenter" Folder there ("a new one") -- I wasn't clear from the thread if "the fix" also created a new "NCenter" Folder or not?

_______

This version of Yosmite does some quirky stuff - I had beta-tested Yosemite and don't recall having the same (little) problems that I'm experiencing now, like w/the Notification Center. Also, Safari, which I'm waiting for them to put out an update ... it just hangs more than it should (& it isn't my internet ... for once :-)

Many thanks!!

Karen

Notifications preferences don't hold

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.