Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8.1 WIFI not working!

So i have an iphone 4s since ios 8 came out not even 8.0.1/2 my wifi has been completely useless. I have been anticipating this 8.1 update for awhile now hopeful that it may fix my wifi problem but it hasnt... My specific problem is that it cannot even detect the wifi around the area.. when it does which only lasts probably 2 minutes max... ive tried the refrigerator method which only works for a limited time.. Many people i have read online have similar issues.. Incredibly dissapointed apple needs to step up.

iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 2:41 PM

70 replies

Oct 21, 2014 2:45 AM in response to fritz.a

I have been having the exact same issue. My 4s worked fine after I updated to ios 8 and 8.01 but after I updated to 8.0.2 the wifi stopped connecting. When it did connect it would reconnect and disconnect the whole time. Just wouldn't find a steady connection. Now it doesn't even pick up wifi networks at all like what's happening to yourself. I've tried the fridge method, I've reset the network settings numerous times and nothing has helped. I hoped ios 8.1 would solve the issues but there's no difference at all....

Oct 21, 2014 6:05 AM in response to fritz.a

I've WiFi problems, too. Sometimes my WiFi Connection drops/lose the connection (just for a bit of a second - almost @ 2,4 ghz - that issue is gotten better since iOS 8.1, but it is already there) and sometimes my connection is slowing down - i think at that moment is no more data transfer possible ( it happens at 5 ghz network - or when both are active - 2,4 and 5 ghz).

After a few seconds/minutes the connection is back and works itself. A reset or turning the iphone into flightmode is almost useless.

That issue consists since iOS 8, 8.02 and 8.1

IPhone 6 Plus 64GB

Oct 23, 2014 6:05 PM in response to fritz.a

Same problem om ipad mini and iphone 4s. On both devices the wifi is extremely slow : 1 mbs download speed and 0 upload speec while i got a download speed of 43 mbs and 10 mbs upload when tested on my android 4.4 motorola moto G. I reset my wifi connections, my modem but the problem witg these Apple devices still exists. I have zero wifi issues with any other devices connected to my wifi. Also my keyboard freezes after this 8.1 update So things are even worse than 8.0 !!! I lost my faith in Apple. I paid good money for these devices, which are now totally USELESS. I will ask for refund if Apple cannot resolve this problem Asap ! btw; i had to buy my Android 4.4 motorola phone after updating my iphone to 8.0 when all the problems started

Oct 24, 2014 2:49 PM in response to fritz.a

Same problem with WiFi dropping/slowing. Any apps trying to use WiFi will display the busy icon until it times out or I go into WiFi settings and renew lease. At first, if that's what it took to get it work, I was fine with it. However, I have to renew lease quite frequently, and it's getting old. I've done all the troubleshooting steps recommended from: iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections, including a backup/restore with iTunes 12. Still having the issue.

Oct 25, 2014 11:33 PM in response to LP222

I had a Iphone 6 with Att and dint recal any 5GHZ issues with iOS 8 or 8.0.2. Long story short, because of contractual issues I returned it and got a Verizon iPhone 6 and have had nothing but issues with my 5Ghz wifi now trying to restore from backup. Finally did it with a computer and not can keep a connection long enough to backup to the cloud. So after reading all these other complaints and trying every thing, resting networks, updating firmware, reset network and reset all setting on the phone (all setting fixed blutooth issue with iOS 8.0.2 so I figured I would try it again) and still having issues. The phone is less than 24 hours old.

So I need to figure out do I return the phone, is it a dud? Are all the other people having issues with Verizon phones and iPads? Or is this with all wireless AC chips on all the new hardware with just ios 8.1?

Oct 26, 2014 12:17 AM in response to Scott.J.D

Let me share a story and possible work around., so far it's working for me but this is just a work around, not a fix. Apple still need to fix some stuff.

I Had an issue with my MacBook retina since I bought it last year and was not able to connect to 5Ghz high channels. Specifically on the 40mhz band, if I changed it to 20mhz it was fine, but half the speed for moving large data files around on my network. So I went back to the low channels like 44 but these frequencies don't pentrate my walls nearly as well and I have a week signal in the yard. The high channels I can walk 5 houses down and still get great speed.

Well the mac is in getting the wifi card replaced after this still was not fixed with yosimite, so I went back to the high channels at home. It's funny how all apple stores run Cisco wifi on high channels but only in 20mhz band or maybe they would see this issue also instead to recommend I buy a apple wifi router.

So today I picked up the iPhone 6 and nothing but issues on 5ghz. Tested 2.4 and seems stable. So then I changled the channle back from 157 to 44 amd now I'm finally able to complete a backup to the cloud without the wifi dropping. My iPad 2 mini retina is fine and the iPhone 5s seems fine on the high channels.

so I'm starting to think this is something again with high channels and 40mhz bandwidth.

oh before anyone mentions it yes I did all the standard scripting trouble shooting, resets, clean restores and bla bla bla.

So my request to all having issues is.

1. What channel are you running? If above 100 have you tried the lower end of the spectrum? If not can you and report back if it also helped you?

2. If your bandwidth on the channle is set to auto, or 40mhz can you try setting it to 20MHz and see if that helps and report back?

Im just looking for a pattern and sharing what helped me, then asking you to try and see if it helps you.

i Know, I know. This is not a fix. It's a temporary work around and apple still needs to get off their "but" and fix this wifi stuff with the 5ghz range. It's a shame that great hardware and design is not starting to get a bad reputation just because of the software issues and not testing properly before releasing it.

If your reading this apple, it the mix of stable software, with hardware, simplicity and design that sells your product and was the reason I moved over years ago for that stable BSD kernel.i support enough to tech issues 70 hours a week and didn't want to deal with it at home. I admire the movement to bring everything together across all your hardware to be the same simplicity and the free OS updates for the Mac the last couple of years. But truth be told even junk unstable software is not worth being free. Please fire the guy responsible for this testing before release, and yes I have an idea on who this guys is also. Can you say apple maps?

Oct 26, 2014 11:14 AM in response to fritz.a

I updated my iPad mini from 8.0.2 to 8.1 to ELIMINATE the WiFi issue and now it's worse. Of course, you all know that!

What I find interesting is after trying EVERYTHING, when I turn on my Samsung Galaxy S4 Hotspot, the Mini connects and the 4G connection works perfectly. Back to my Netgear WiFi router-it connects to the router just fine, but doesn't authenticate for internet use. Some pages pop up looking for a login. Safari pages want to connect to comcast for phanthom login, I guess. Some sort of security or authentication issue??

My 6 other wireless devices connect without incident to the router. (including the Galaxy!)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

ios 8.1 WIFI not working!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.