Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing dictation (spoken) language

Hi,

This has been annoying me for a very long time now. How do you change the dictation language in iOS?

My iPhone and siri is set to English (UK) and I have the following keyboards: English(UK) Chinese(Traditional) - Stroke Emoji

I use Chinese Traditional and speak Cantonese, however, the dictation in the Chinese keyboard only registers mandarin. If I change siri to Cantonese(Hong Kong) or the phone's language to chinese (Hong Kong), it will register Cantonese in stead of mandarin in dictation.

Is there a way to make the phone be in English (UK), siri be in English (UK), dictation in the English keyboard be in English (UK) and dictation in the Chinese keyboard be in Cantonese (HK) ?

Thanks a lot to whoever helps!!

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 6:09 PM

Finally found a solution! My grandpa was asking me about the same situation.

Turns out you can just 3d press the voice dictation microphone button until the dictation settings menu comes up (you can also change voice dictation language here), make sure you click cantonese instead of mandarin (or whatever language you’re trying to add into the voice dictation recgonition). Should be fine after this change.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2017 6:09 PM in response to ogtw

Finally found a solution! My grandpa was asking me about the same situation.

Turns out you can just 3d press the voice dictation microphone button until the dictation settings menu comes up (you can also change voice dictation language here), make sure you click cantonese instead of mandarin (or whatever language you’re trying to add into the voice dictation recgonition). Should be fine after this change.

Sep 7, 2017 9:40 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

It is not working as intended at all. Picking a Hong Kong keyboard as your ONLY keyboard will allow your dictation to include both english and chinese.

Having even any other keyboard, except emoji, will instantly disable your chinese dictation and limit you to english only. If you don't think this is a bug, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Unless you think a bilingual society such as Hong Kong should be deprived of an english keyboard.

Oct 20, 2014 3:24 PM in response to ogtw

I am not aware of any setting that allows you to choose different dictation from the keyboards. You can try looking in the User Guide to see if there is information there that I am not aware of. http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1565/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf I have a difficult enough time dealing with living in the US north after being brought up in the south. That is almost like two different dialects. 😁

Oct 21, 2014 2:51 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

This is an issue because it isn't really working as designed.

This isn't an issue with accents, this is a completely different language, Hong Kong people speak Cantonese and write Traditional Chinese, where as China people speak Mandarin and write simplified Chinese. Apple is aware of it as they have kept both languages (spoken and written) apart in iPhone language, keyboards, siri and dictation.

Maybe think of it as English and French, they both used the alphabet, but they aren't the same spoken or written language....

This problem only arises when the iPhone's language isn't set to Chinese Traditional (Hong Kong), then the iPhone by default chooses mandarin as the Chinese language.

Anyway, I have filled in the feedback form, fingers crossed apple looks into this!

Thanks guys!

Jun 14, 2015 11:55 AM in response to ogtw

This is a general response for those who don't understand that dictating in a foreign language actually has to do with your "keyboard" setting:

By default in the U.S., your iPhone comes with an English keyboard and you can thus do dictation in English for email, text messages and calendar/reminders/notes if you use those latter 3. To accomplish this, just touch the microphone that's just to the left of your space bar on the keyboard, speak, and click "Done" when finished. It will recognize works like comma, period, question mark, exclamation point, etc. as punctuation marks. If you try to speak French, it won't recognize what you're saying.

To add the French SPEAKING option, hit "settings", "general", "keyboard", "Keyboards", "Add New Keyboard...". Choose "French" and then specify that you want the "QWERTY" option so that it's the keyboard that we as Americans are accustomed to using as opposed to the true French keyboard. I capitalized SPEAKING just above because when one adds a keyboard one thinks of typing characters rather than speaking. But it's this "keyboard" addition which actually allows you to use another language in dictation. That's because, when your French keyboard, for example, is in use, the microphone next to the space bar will be ready for you to speak French instead of English.

To switch between languages, hit the "globe" icon to the left of the "microphone" icon. You will notice that when you're in French mode, the space bar will say "espace" instead of "space". Be ready to use French punctuation with words like "virgule", "point", "point d'interrogation", etc.

Jun 14, 2015 2:34 PM in response to davidsf444

davidsf444 wrote:

dictating in a foreign language actually has to do with your "keyboard" setting:

Yes, but the point of this thread is that more than that is required if you want to dictate in Cantonese. In that case you must not only set the Keyboard to Chinese Traditional, you must also set the Language or Siri to Chinese Traditional Hong Kong. This makes it impossible to dictate Cantonese with the Language and Siri set to English for example. This is something Apple needs to fix, presumably by adding a keyboard that invokes Cantonese.

Changing dictation (spoken) language

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.