Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s; wifi still not working after 8.1 upgrade

Got really excited this morning when I heard a new updated was going to be released. My 4s could not connect to wifi networks after iOS 8 upgrade. Went to multiple genius appointments and reset my network settings many times. Wifi will sometimes work for a hot minute after resetting network but always crumbles into ashes. Even restored my phone to factory. I just upgraded to iOS 8.1 and I still have the same issues. Apple store people wanted me to buy a new phone... They verified my wifi card was working, too. Come on Apple.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 3:55 PM

17 replies

Oct 21, 2014 4:07 PM in response to ibmalek

I had the same issue with my wifi after 8.0.2. And still have the same issue too. I have yet to do the 8.1 and won't do it either until Apple gets off they're ***** and figures out this problem. However, there have been a couple of times that my wifi has attempted to connect to wifi but fails in the end, but that was a few weeks after 8.0.2 and after I got few of the issues resolved. I've tried resetting the network settings on the phone and resetting my modem as well and still no wifi.

On top of that, I can't even downgrade to ios 7...which is terrible as my 4s worked just fine on that update. 8.0.2 is the worst they've done.

Soon its going to be 'Android...Here I come'

With Apple saying get a new phone, I wonder if this is something that they were hoping for. Create an update that buggers up lots of older phones so it makes them get a new phone...which means more $$$ in they're pockets.

Nov 4, 2014 5:42 PM in response to nMNathan

I cannot even get 8.1 loaded on my 4s, I get "verifying Iphone software"...."restoring Iphone firmware"..."verifying iphone restore"....then "the iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occured"............

I know I have a backup from yesterday, I have changed the usb cable, even changed to another usb port (in desperation!!)....I have completed the above process about 10 times over 2 hours....any ideas. I have tried restore/update....restore......and then update....non of the options are working at this time, I have to press the on/off button whilst pressing the home button to get a reaction from the 4s, it keeps on telling me to connect the usb.........you know the usual stupid mean nothing message!!!.

I guess this will teach me wait a month or two before updating, I am not impressed with Apple at this time............

Nov 9, 2014 4:09 PM in response to lv42day

lv42day wrote:

I had the 4s checked and the attempted upgrade to 8.1 burnt out the motherboard, so now its a paper weight. This is totally out of order.............welcome to the post Steve Jobs era.............

LOL!!!

Um, iPhone 4S units were designed under Steve's watch. And it's a hardware issue, not an iOS issue. iPhone 4S units have occasionally had this issue since iOS 5.

Nov 10, 2014 2:12 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

I guess in that case it's another case of Apple dropping the ball. If this was a "known" problem then us iPhone 4S users should have been disallowed from the 8.1 update.

Whichever way I read this it appears to be Apple getting sloppier.

I can't convey to you the way my B.P. has been rising over here just trying to get a Genius Bar appointment - Support now seems to be run by systems both web and 'phone which may be good at speech recognition but are still completely unintelligent!

TerryB

Northumberland, UK

iPhone 4s; wifi still not working after 8.1 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.