Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Library constantly preparing my library on the web

I keep getting this message....

It's been hours. How do I get my photos to show up?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 7:08 PM

I've been seeing the exact same message for a few days now also.

Preparing your library.... This may take a few minutes

47 replies

Jan 15, 2015 7:35 PM in response to colinfetter

Don't suppose either of you did anything to fix this? I know, for my wife's account, she had this screen, exited and logged back in the next day and everything was there (could possibly have been sooner than a day, can't remember).

However, for my account, I logged in over a month ago, left it (because there are a lot more photos in my account) and have come back periodically and it's still loading. Surely it doesn't take a month to load - this is kinda ridiculous.

Feb 26, 2015 11:05 AM in response to afsnyder

User uploaded file

It has been saying the above for 3 days now on iCloud.com. My iPhone has been uploading for the same amount of time 24x7.

Wish I could actually see what has been uploaded, I don't even know if anything has uploaded.

Anyone know what it actually has to do to prepare the library? I don't even have that many photos (a few thousand).

I'm sorry I wasted my time and bandwidth with this.

Mar 6, 2015 10:27 AM in response to kljsdkfjkejr33

Note that I decided to turn off iCloud Photo Library seeing it just would not work.

Now I have found that I can no longer do iPhone backups that include my photos with the backup!!! (yes, Photos are selected as part of the backup and they are included in the size estimate - but excluded when the backup runs). This worked fine prior to trying iCloud Photo Library. I don't have space issues as I pay extra for 200GB of iCloud space. When I look at "Settings -> iCloud -> Storage -> Manage Storage -> iCloud Photo Library" on my iPhone it says "in 22 days the photos and videos stored in iCloud will be deleted and iCloud Photo Library will be turned off on all your devices". I'm wondering if photos will be stored in my backup after that? Maybe it "thinks" I am using iCloud Photo Library (although I'm not) so won't let me backup Photos in my iPhone backup?

It took days to try and turn this on (and never actually got to being on) and now it takes a month to switch the **** thing off!! This is totally crazy! Why is there not an option to turn it off now?? Hope they add that.

And seems that while it is taking a month to turn itself off, I now have no iCloud solution to backup my photos, despite paying Apple for extra storage that I am now unable to use. I specifically bought extra storage due to my photos. I won't know until another 22 days if my iPhone backups will start including my photos again?

I hope Apple fix this complete mess before they take it out of beta.

Mar 10, 2015 4:09 AM in response to afsnyder

'Preparing your library' for a week. Same as everyone else.

This software is just broken. Completely.

This isn't Beta software - it's not even alpha - it's not in a fit state to show anyone. You'd imagine a problem reported as long ago as October last year would be fixed by now. SJ had a rant at the MobileMe developers because the software was not fit for purpose. Are the same people responsible for iCloud you wonder?

What's more Photostream has not worked since August last year. Nothing synced to my PC. iCloud photos doesn't work at all on my PC. Nothing syncs in either direction.

No one seems to have any answer to all the other people asking the same question about the never ending 'Preparing your library...'. Does anyone have any suggested solutions? And if not is there actually a way to communicate with people in Apple about this stuff?

iCloud Photo Library constantly preparing my library on the web

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.