Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text message forwarding -- no code appears on mac

On my iPhone I am trying to turn on "text message forwarding" to allow my mac to send SMS texts from Message through my phone. That's a mouthful!

Anyway, when i turn it on in the phone settings it's waiting for me to enter a code that my mac displays. But I don't see anything.

The setup:

iPhone 6 with OS 8.1

macbook pro with 10.10

Any ideas?

Jon

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 4:22 PM

12 replies

Oct 20, 2014 8:56 PM in response to J-Seattle

You have to enable your email addresses under messages for both devices you're trying to use. I only had my phone number checked on my devices and I never saw a code. Checked the boxes for my email addresses to be used for iMessage and boom.

I'm not sure why this is the case, but I hope in the future you're not required to have your email addresses turned on for iMessage. I also tried turning them off after I activated SMS forwarding, and it proceeded to cause forwarding not to work.

Oct 20, 2014 9:05 PM in response to andrewchen.a3

It didn't work. It should be said that I was an early adapted to MobileMe. So I have an Apple ID, a me.com ID and an iCloud.com (which I don't use).

So I am wondering if it has something to do with that. Regardless, I did set both the phone and the macbook to show the same email address as the default "from" (it was not set to the same, fyi).

J

Oct 20, 2014 9:59 PM in response to J-Seattle

So I'll tell you how mine is set up and working.

Both devices are signed into the same AppleID and both show my iPhone phone number. On messages on my Mac, I can be reached for messages at my phone number and 2 email addresses. All 3 are checked. I start new conversations from my phone number, which answers the question you had about sending messages from your phone number. All 3 receiving sources are checked (1 phone number 2 email addresses). After I did this on both devices, the code popped up in the messages app after a few seconds when I tried to enable SMS forwarding on my iPhone.

Oct 22, 2014 1:26 PM in response to J-Seattle

Okay, I just got done at the Genius bar. It was a glitch that just need a little "turn off, turn back on". Here was the fix:

On the phone:

Settings > Messages >

Turn off iMessage (it's the first on my list). Then turn it back on.

Then turn on Text Message Forwarding when you are in front of your laptop so you can type the code that appears on the screen.

Text message forwarding -- no code appears on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.