Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System is running our of application memory after yosemite install

Using a high end Mac Book Pro LATE 2013. 16GB ram. No programs running except MAIL. Just updated to YOSEMITE and getting the error "Your system has run out of application memory". This make no sense, I've rebooted several times, opened mail and getting the same error message. NO OTHER PROGRAMS ARE RUNNING.

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz), OS X Yosemite (10.10), 16 GB ram

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 12:46 AM

I've started getting the same issue. Never happened under Mavericks...

My MacBook Pro:

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
  • Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.
  • OS X Yosemite
87 replies

Oct 21, 2014 8:45 AM in response to joetester

Getting the same issue today. I've been running Mail and all of my normal apps (Calendar, Messages, Safari, Reminders, Pages) since I updated to Yosemite on launch day without a problem. All of a sudden today I've gotten two "application memory" warnings and have had to quit all programs, restart, etc. without any luck.

Tried the PRAM reset as mentioned above so we'll see how that helps. Not sure how doing that keeps the Mail app from draining application memory, though.

Early 2013 MacBook Pro Retina

2.7 GHz i7

16 GB RAM

Oct 21, 2014 5:26 PM in response to MacKing

Thank you for the suggestion. I did a reset of the PRAM but still get this issue... 😟

It seems Mail has a memory leak as it is the only app I have to force quit. Also, it seems quite intermittent as I had to force quit Mail twice in quick succession while I was typing an email but I haven't need to force quit Mail for the past 40 minutes...

Oct 21, 2014 5:37 PM in response to matthew o-b

matthew,

Have you checked Activity Monitor (Applications>Utilities folder) to see what may be eating up your RAM? I, too, have 16GB of RAM and can keep multiple Adobe CC applications open along with Parallels and at least a dozen applications. I've never had an out of memory warning.

Check out your RAM usage in Activity Monitor and see if you've a runaway process running.

Good luck,

Clinton

MacBook Pro (15” Late 2011), OS X Yosemite 10.10, 16GB Crucial RAM, 960GB M500 Crucial SSD, 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display

Oct 21, 2014 5:41 PM in response to joetester

I went to the Genius Bar today. They confirmed that my computer goes pedal to the metal (memory usage is surging for no understandable reason). So, They ran some system diagnostic reports and this is what they saw when they searched the system reports for any MAIL program issues...

***Notice the fan speed should be 2000-2500 rpm, the CPU usage of 95% for the MAIL program is unheard of...

Event: cpu usage (microstackshots only)

Thread: 0x183c2 (95% cpu over 95 seconds)

Duration: 95.00s

Steps: 98

Hardware model: MacBookPro11,3

Active cpus: 8

Fan speed: 4146 rpm***

Solution they provided was not much...

1. Wipe the computer clean and start over

2. Reinstall Yosemite

3. Wait for a patch

😟

PS: Genius bar said PRAM has nothing to do with it. There could be older programs that are not YOSEMITE compatible that are still running in the background causing these strange surges. ???

Oct 22, 2014 9:52 AM in response to joetester

Having same problem but on:

iMac 27" Mid 2011 2.7 Ghz Intel Core15 32GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 Memory Yosemite 10.10

AND not on my MBA:

MBA 13" 13" mid 2012 2 Ghz Intel core i7 8GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 Yosemite 10.10 memory from activity monitor 141.5mb and rather steady

Is anyone else having this separation problem? Is it the architecture or Yosemite? Mail accounts are identical. The Mail app on the iMac is constantly growing but it remains stable on the MBA. Whassup with that?

The iMac can grow to 70GB with little effort just using the Mac. That does not happen with the MBA.

HMMMMMMM thought maybe time machine but thats off. Running Sophos on both machines. Never had problem in Mavericks and now see that it seems to be only on the iMac but see others with MBP having same same problems. Anyone else with MBA?

Thanks. This is quite problematic. Maybe sell the iMac and just get big monitor LOL

Also did PRAM did Disk Repair and permissions repair. Seems to be holding steady Cap'n must be the old dilithium crystals....

Oct 23, 2014 9:34 AM in response to Vince Egan

dang it. It went well yesterday and then today in the middle of an important email reply I once again received the dreaded "out of memory" window. The activity Monitor showed that once again Mail had climbed to over 70GB. Now I compose in a text editor then cut and paste. This needs to be fixed but how? Its bringing back memories of the old "Conflict Catcher " days.

I eliminated all but the essential start up items reset PRAM and now will empty mail trash to see what the heck is happening.

Is anyone finding any joy out there on this? Still only seems to be happening on my iMac not my MBA.

iMac 27" Mid 2011 2.7 Ghz Intel Core15 32GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 Memory Yosemite 10.10

AND not on my MBA:

MBA 13" 13" mid 2012 2 Ghz Intel core i7 8GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 Yosemite 10.10 memory from activity monitor 141.5mb and rather steady

System is running our of application memory after yosemite install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.