Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sync music on iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1 and iTunes 12.0.1.26 on Windows 8.1

As far as I know I have the latest of everything. I have tried:

Syncing over wifi with the cable disconnected from the PC

Syncing over cable with airplane mode on (thus no wifi)

Resetting my phone

Manually managing music

Wiping all music and starting over

Toggling music sync on and off

Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes

Problems are all over the place:

1) Sometimes it will copy like 100-200 songs and then act as though the iPod got disconnected and reconnected.

2) Sometimes it will hang on "waiting for changes to be applied"

3) Sometimes it will complain that files are not the right format, but then it will copy them over fine the next time.

4) Sometimes it will stop and say "unknown errors"

It's really hard to troubleshoot because of how all over the map the problems are. Before updating to iOS 8.1 it would at least sometimes do a solid run of almost 500 songs before malfunctioning. Now these problems are much more frequent.

I never had these problems on my iPod and older versions of iTunes. I know the iTunes version for Windows is an afterthought, but given how expensive the products are it should work as advertised. iTunes is by far the most buggy software on my system, everything else works well so I know there's nothing wrong on the OS level.

At this rate I'm probably going to just go to a third party solution. I have a subsonic server set up so I can just download my music through there into an app's cache, like iSub or something like that. But it ***** to have to rely on cumbersome third party software for things that are advertised to work out of the box on these $800 devices. I am a developer during work hours, I can't imagine what this must be like for non-technical people who bought the these products thinking it was going to be as simple and intuitive as they advertise their products to be.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 8:04 PM

Hey man, I have been having this same issue for several days now. Been doing research to find out what the issue could be, so far I have come up short. Until tonight, I found your post; and then I found another website pertaining to this situation.

This seems like it could be useful, although I have not tried it yet (will here shortly)..

Apparently, from what this site says, is that iTunes has a bug with the new iOS update, and when it is syncing and runs into a duplicate song, it just stops syncing even though it tells you it is. Then it proceeds to finish, and "says" they're on the phone when in reality they are not. Like I said earlier, I am gonna look into it now. I know I have several duplicate songs, so... I hope this really does work. For now anyways.

Here is that link... I will try and make another post if this works.

http://robservatory.com/a-nasty-little-itunesios-bug-may-be-causing-media-sync-i ssues/

Good luck buddy!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1 as well.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2014 8:04 PM in response to Community User

Hey man, I have been having this same issue for several days now. Been doing research to find out what the issue could be, so far I have come up short. Until tonight, I found your post; and then I found another website pertaining to this situation.

This seems like it could be useful, although I have not tried it yet (will here shortly)..

Apparently, from what this site says, is that iTunes has a bug with the new iOS update, and when it is syncing and runs into a duplicate song, it just stops syncing even though it tells you it is. Then it proceeds to finish, and "says" they're on the phone when in reality they are not. Like I said earlier, I am gonna look into it now. I know I have several duplicate songs, so... I hope this really does work. For now anyways.

Here is that link... I will try and make another post if this works.

http://robservatory.com/a-nasty-little-itunesios-bug-may-be-causing-media-sync-i ssues/

Good luck buddy!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1 as well.

Oct 21, 2014 9:26 PM in response to Community User

Here is my follow up....

I never found out if my previous post would be a solution or not, because... half way through deleting all my duplicates (got to the 'M' songs), I get a notification that a new iTunes download is available. Which, I of course downloaded right away lol. Anyways, the new download did the trick, my songs are currently syncing. THRILLED!

Oct 26, 2014 7:18 PM in response to Community User

I finally got mine to work. I took a bit from several other posts. For starters I turned off Match. Wish the update didn't mess with my settings. Make sure you kill the Music app before turning off Match or the change may not take effect. Next, I deleted all of my music by going into Usage and cleaning it out from there. Next, I connected my iPhone 6 to iTunes 12. I stopped the sync that was occurring. I then browsed onto the device. Lo and behold, I found all the music playlists that were "supposed" to be on my phone, but weren't. So, I unchecked sync music, sync videos, etc. I then ran a sync. Once complete, I went back in there and selected sync music. At least iTunes remembered what playlists I had before. As soon as I enabled sync and ran sync again, it started coming down. I think it comes down to code in the update that doesn't clean the library file even when it enabled Match. Anyway, hope you get yours working...

Oct 28, 2014 6:27 AM in response to dfalcon01

I am having a similar problem. My phone hangs on the last stage of the sync and never stops, thought on my phone it appears as if the sync is over. I have tried deleting my music and reloading them but I can never get all to music off the phone. Nothing seems to help. I am using an iPhone 5 with iOS 8.1 using iTunes 12.01.06 on a system running OS 10.7.5.

Apple is taking too long to fix this! 😟

Oct 31, 2014 4:05 PM in response to dfalcon01

Thanks for your tip but this didn't work for me, I don't use match and always have it shut off. I've wiped everything and redone everyting, and aborted syncs, cleared sync and restarted syncing, no dice. I've also seen other issues that were related to duplicate songs in the library but fixing that hasn't fixed the issue either. None of my music is from the iTunes store and I don't use iCloud for anything. Pretty much every solution out there for this issue has not worked for me. But iSub is great, I just don't think it's a practical solution for most people nor should you have to use a second party app for something as basic as syncing music.

Dec 15, 2014 7:41 PM in response to Community User

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I just got word that Apple is actually now blocking any previously downloaded music that did not come from the Apple Store as an attempt to stop piracy on their devices. I've been trying to get my iPhone to sync my library (around 40 some odd gigabytes of music) and iTunes will not sync anything that isn't already in my cloud. I've tried manually updating and automatic and no avail.

<Edited by Host>

Nov 1, 2014 9:10 PM in response to cp.urias14

Not sure where that word came from, but it isn't so. Most of the music in my iTunes library is from CDs that I ripped to the computer and put into iTunes. All of that syncs and plays just find on my 5s, running iOS 8.1. I've never experienced an issue with syncing my music, and every time I update iOS, I set the phone up as new and sync everything back manually. I have almost 1800 songs, totaling 8GB. I don't use Match, never have.

Feb 23, 2015 9:18 AM in response to Community User

Hi, I had all the symptoms you have gone through to the point of frustration, even resurrected the old iPod classic. I am Using iMac With Yosemite and IOS 8.13 on an iPhone 6 128gb. I stumbled across this page OS X: Resetting Sync Services - Apple Support and it sat a while on determining tracks, probably because i synced the entire 11k of songs, but it worked and is now working for me.

Mar 3, 2015 10:01 AM in response to Community User

I thought I'd add to this discussion because I ran into the same issue after I bought the iPhone 6 Plus. While I realize there are many variables to this, I managed to solve my iTunes sync problems. Here is what I did:

I figured Apple would have at least tested iTunes sync with the latest OS releases, so I created a Mac OS Yosemite external drive and copied my iTunes & iPhoto libraries to it. Also rebuilt/repaired both libraries. I did resets of the iPhone 6 Plus, including resetting everything to factory default. I trolled the Apple Forums and reviewed every 'solution', many of them esoteric.

I finally managed to get some items syncing, and some not. Some iPhoto albums would simply not sync. Some iTunes music would sync but would be without the artwork. Other random errors. Also got the dreaded 'waiting for items to copy' message.

After much playing around with this issue, and I don't remember what search term I used to go online, I came across a generic iTunes sync troubleshooting list, which suggested to replace the USB cable as one of the list points.

Then I had a 'D'Oh!' moment. I suddenly remembered that when the iPhone 5S came out, people were reporting the exact same problems. It was because Apple made a slight change to the iPhone hardware that did a check to see whether the sync cable was a genuine Apple product.

As a previous IPhone owner, I simply kept using the after-market cable that I had been using to do my iTunes sync, which worked fine with the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5S. It never occurred to me to take the sync cable out of the box that came with the iPhone 6 Plus.

Bingo. Everything synced perfectly. This was using Mac OS 8 (Mountain Lion).

May 28, 2015 7:38 PM in response to dfalcon01

Thank you so much for the fix!! I didn't do it quite your way, as I didn't see a way to clean out "usage," as you indicated. I did go there, but couldn't see where to clean out the music. I didn't have to kill the music app either. For the most part, all the music that was stuck, did download when I went to "Store" and turned off the iTunes Match. That seem to do the trick. Now all I have to compare the music list on my iPhone 6 with older phone to see if all the music downloaded. Hey, thanx again! Couldn't have done it w/o your suggestion!

P.S. Isn't it a shame all the work arounds you have to go through to get music to sync? When Jobs died, quality assurance started to wither.

Can't sync music on iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1 and iTunes 12.0.1.26 on Windows 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.