Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot turn on iphone cellular calls error

When trying to activate iPhone Cellular Calls, I get the error "cannot turn on iphone cellular calls error, FaceTime and iCloud must be signed in to the same Apple ID to use iPhone cellular calls" I am signed onto the same accounts in both places and cannot figure out what is wrong. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 6:34 PM

68 replies

Oct 20, 2014 7:19 PM in response to nicholasjs

Exactly the same problem!!! Help

Apple ID same for both iCloud and FaceTime but every time I try to turn on iPhone mobile calls get the error message "cannot turn on iphone mobile calls error, FaceTime and iCloud must be signed in to the same Apple ID to use iPhone mobile calls" . It worked fine on ios 8.0.2 but since upgrading to ios 8.1 it's stopped working.

Oct 20, 2014 8:19 PM in response to nicholasjs

If you're trying to make calls from a mac, then you should make sure to enable FaceTime calls from your AppleID (email address) on both the mac and the iPhone. Don't uncheck your phone number, either. FaceTIme should be enabled on both devices with both your phone number and your AppleID.

For some reason, this is what had to be done for me to be able to make phone calls from my mac without receiving this message on my iPhone. I know it isn't ideal because we shouldn't have to enable FaceTime calls via AppleID, especially if we won't be using it with our AppleID, but this is what worked for me. Once you enable FaceTime calling from your AppleID on both the iPhone and your mac (while also keeping the calling enabled via your phone number), then try to turn on iPhone cellular calling on your iPhone. It should work, and then you can try to make a cellular call on your mac.

Some people may think that this isn't a fix because they might think I am talking about FaceTime audio calls. But I'm not. Try this and report back if you can.

Oct 20, 2014 10:03 PM in response to nicholasjs

As a data point for others:

I was getting the same error message when I first set this up, and I was correctly logged into everything using the same Apple ID.

I was able to fix it by picking 'Sign Out' under OSX Facetime preferences, then logging back in to my account. At this point a message appeared on my phone notifying me that my computer had logged in to facetime and everything worked.

Oct 24, 2014 1:11 PM in response to bellanikita

This also does not work for me.

- On OSX and iPhone the full set of options (phone number, real email address, three apple emails addresses [@mac, @me, @icloud]) are checked.

- phone number is the "default" (callerID) ID on both

- both are using the same appleID

- I logged out and back in of the faceTime appleID.

- My iCloud ID is active and the same as my FaceTime ID (and, BTW, Apple, *** is with the explosion of "different" Apple IDs? How many of these things are there, and can't we, if we are normal users, just consolidate the **** things all into ONE ID that is authenticated once?)

As far as I can tell, I am doing everything right. I've only ever had a single Apple/iTunes/iCloud/FaceTime/"god knows *** else" ID which I am using on both OSX and iOS, but this is just not working.

Oct 28, 2014 11:17 AM in response to name99

Same here. Have everything according to all the recommendations above. Have signed out and back in multiple times on both the MAC and the iPhone (4S). "It just works" (not). Really frustrating, especially since this was one of the major attractions to the "upgrade" for me. Thought it would be worth the trade-offs for the things I don't like about the new OSes. Now I get my MAC telling me I'm not signed in on the same iCloud account when I clearly am. Definition of insanity?

Edit: BTW the SMS message forwarding does work. Go figure.

Oct 29, 2014 9:14 AM in response to DirtyDawg

I'm dealing with Apple iOS Tech support about this issue and they are reporting this to be 'normal behaviour', yet with iOS8.0.1 and .2, I was able to switch ON 'iPhone Mobile Calls' by simply selection one preferred contact address - that being my phone number.

I think this issue is affecting a small number of users but is very annoying, as it all 'just worked' before 8.1 came along. Likewise, my SMS relay function works nicely, and I only have the one Apple ID. I can't help but think this issue has something to do with having a refurbished iPhone.

Does anyone else who is suffering from this issue have a swapped handset, by Apple?

I am unable to re-create this same issue using my wife's iPhone 5c - go figure! It seems linked to my handset.

Oct 29, 2014 11:35 AM in response to Vishal Vora

Interesting Vishal. Tried that as well with no success. Have not had any issue with turning on "iPhone Cellular Calls" on the iPhone until I limited the "reached by FaceTime at" selections to only my phone number. Then I could not activate the feature on the iPhone. With a bit of experimentation, I found that if I re-activated my Apple ID email address along with my phone number in the list of "reached by FaceTime at" selections, then the iPhone would allow me to reactivate the "iPhone Cellular Calls" option. None of this had any effect on the error message on the iMac. It still insists that my iMac and iPhone are not on the same Apple ID.

I also tried logging out of that Apple ID on the iMac, FaceTime specifically, and iPhone, then logging in with my "alternate Apple ID" on each of these. Again, no success. This remains a major source of frustration and a huge disappointment.

cannot turn on iphone cellular calls error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.