Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot connect my magic mouse or bluetooth speakers with Yosemite as I could before with Mavericks

I have a late 2008 macbook (aluminum) which has bluetooth 2.1. I knew that if I upgraded to Yosemite I would not be able to use the airdrop and handoff functionality since my machine does not have bluetooth 4.0. What I did not know is that Yosemite would completely break my ability to use bluetooth altogether. I cannot connect my magic mouse or bluetooth speakers as I could before. If I run system report and look under bluetooth is reads no Information found. In system preferences i cannot discover bluetooth devices because Yosemite doesn't see bluetooth on my machine. Is Yosemite not compatible at all with Bluetooth 2.1? It is as if Yosemite cannot see that there is actually bluetooth hardware in this machine. Is this an oversight by apple? My bluetooth worked when running mavericks. What can I do besides go back to mavericks?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10), late 2008 macbook aluminum

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 7:24 PM

Reset the SMC.

Barry

8 replies

Oct 20, 2014 7:46 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

Okay Wow! Thanks Barry! I would have never known to do that had you not replied. Everything works now, thanks.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

In some situations, you may need to reset your computer's System Management Controller (SMC). Learn how to identify these conditions and to reset the SMC.

Note: It is possible that the SMC could encounter an issue that may cause unusual system behavior typically related to the symptoms described below. In some cases, resetting the SMC may be the only correct method to resolve the issue. However, an SMC reset should only be attempted after all other standard troubleshooting has been performed.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove

Note: Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Oct 28, 2014 8:07 AM in response to Barry Hemphill

(Macbook Pro Retina 13") 10.10

Ok, A few updates ago Apple resolved this problem and its been fine up until I updated to Yosemite...

Before my wifi and bluetooth were 'fighting' if my bluetooth was on my wifi wouldn't connect unless i did it maually...

NOW

My Bluetooth speaker won't connect at all now... and the wifi also disconnects itself.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Other apple problems include,

1) My iPhone 5 shows 'no service' (for 2 weeks now)

2) when i open multiple pictures they're meant to open in one window but often open in separate windows!

I cannot connect my magic mouse or bluetooth speakers with Yosemite as I could before with Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.