Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS Continuity - Text Message Forwarding Code Not Appearing on my MBA

I am trying to setup SMS Continuity on my MBA...

Though I get the request / window on my iPhone 5S to "Enter the code shown on your Mac to allow iPhone text messages to also be sent ad received on Computer Name" no code is being displayed on my MBA.

Would like to know i) whether anyone knows a workaround to this and ii) whether anyone else has this problem.

TIA.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 8:28 PM

I think you need to install OS X Yosemite on your MBA. After you do, make sure that you check (select) your iCloud email address on both iPhone and your MBA Message app.

35 replies

Oct 21, 2014 2:37 AM in response to hau328

hau328 wrote:

I think you need to install OS X Yosemite on your MBA. After you do, make sure that you check (select) your iCloud email address on both iPhone and your MBA Message app.

Hu328:

Thank you for your posting which did solve my problem....the one added point is that it does appear, after testing, that the email address on the iPhone must remain enabled and cannot be subsequently disabled....thx...

Oct 25, 2014 2:36 PM in response to JoelcYYZ

Hello,

I had the same issue. One thing I realized is that you need the "Send as SMS" option activated in order for Text Message Forwarding to work.

(Of course, you need OS X Yosemite and iOS 8.1 for this to work).

Things I had to do:

1. Check that my iCloud account was configured for iMessage on both my MBA (late 2013) and iPhone 5.

1.a In my case, I didn't. I had to log out of iMessage on my iPhone and the log back in with the actual account.

2. Activate "Send as SMS" option.

3. Enter the "Text Message Forwarding" option and select my MBA.

4. Insert the relevant code that appeared on iMessage on my MBA.

5. Done!

Something that I noted when selecting the contact to send an SMS to, is that if the contact doesn't have an iDevice, the contact list on the Messages app on my MBA would appear as if the contact HAS iMessage, but after a short moment, it would update to show that the contact uses "Text Message".

Thanks for your help.

Oct 26, 2014 2:23 AM in response to JoelcYYZ

Same problem here. I'm running Yosemite on my MBA and iMac, and iOS 8.1 on my iPhone 6. I've FaceTime and iMessage up and running. When I select Text Message Forwarding in iMessage settings on the iPhone and subsequently choose my MBA or iMac, neither show a code that can be entered on the iPhone.

Note: All other Continuity features work swimmingly.

Oct 26, 2014 11:10 AM in response to Eric Root

The feature is very dodgy at best...I tried to use it earlier in the day but the link was broken...I then tried to "re-link" the two but still no messages were being sent despite the fact that I had received the code and entered the code...I then logged out-of and back-into iMessage on my MBA and things started working again.

This is very frustrating as an end user...came over to OS X / iOS from Windows because Apple was "...just supposed to work..." but not so much with the current releases of Yosemite, iOS 8.0 / 8.0.1 / 8.0.2 / 8.1.

Oct 27, 2014 11:27 AM in response to JoelcYYZ

Instead of logging out of Message on Yosemite, add the Messsage into your Notification center, then use it to send a message to yourself. My messages does not get forward sometimes but probably because my MBP is off-line for a while and Message disconnect. Majority of the time, I got the text message on my MBP. Still somewhat buggy but hopefully, Apple fix this on the next revision.

Oct 27, 2014 6:54 PM in response to JoelcYYZ

What I had to do to fix this problem was: on my iPhone, in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, I unchecked all my email addresses, went back out to messages, went back in to send and receive, checked all my email addresses again, went back in the text message forwarding, turned on to allow my device, and that code did show up.

Oct 27, 2014 7:12 PM in response to JoelcYYZ

What I had to do to fix this problem was: on my iPhone, in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, I unchecked all my email addresses, went back out to messages, went back in to send and receive, checked all my email addresses again, went back in the text message forwarding, turned on to allow my device, and the code did show up.

I had to repeat this for each device I wanted to allow Text Message Forwarding for.

Oct 28, 2014 4:39 AM in response to hau328

hau328 wrote:

Instead of logging out of Message on Yosemite, add the Messsage into your Notification center, then use it to send a message to yourself. My messages does not get forward sometimes but probably because my MBP is off-line for a while and Message disconnect. Majority of the time, I got the text message on my MBP. Still somewhat buggy but hopefully, Apple fix this on the next revision.

Appreciate the response but would appreciate you explaining what you mean by "...add the Message into your Notification centre..."...

Oct 28, 2014 4:40 AM in response to scostesu

scostesu wrote:

What I had to do to fix this problem was: on my iPhone, in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, I unchecked all my email addresses, went back out to messages, went back in to send and receive, checked all my email addresses again, went back in the text message forwarding, turned on to allow my device, and the code did show up.

I had to repeat this for each device I wanted to allow Text Message Forwarding for.

Appreciate this...it appears that there are a number of work-arounds but the bottom line is that things are buggy and still need to be fixed to work more consistently and reliably...

SMS Continuity - Text Message Forwarding Code Not Appearing on my MBA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.