Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Instant Hotspots not working iOS 8.1

My iPad Air sees my iPhone 6 Hotspot, but cannot connect.

Get message saying it cannot start hotspot

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 11:08 PM

10 replies

Oct 20, 2014 11:10 PM in response to tecsi12

This post seems to suggest a reset corrects the problem: Problems with the new iOS 8 "Instant Hotspot" feature

You can try resetting your iPad by simultaneously pressing and holding the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons until you see the Apple Logo. This can take up to 15 seconds so be patient and don't release the buttons until the logo appears. No data will be lost.

Oct 22, 2014 9:34 AM in response to tecsi12

Dear All,

Since yesterday I am having a Windows-deja-vu.

iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 8.1

rMBP Late 2013 on OS X 10.10

Both handoff enabled, both logged into same iCloud account, both have bluetooth and wifi on.

Did all the resets I have found on this forum and on the internet, logged out and in into iCloud on both devices, turned off and on wifi etc, in all various sequences.

- SMS Relay is working (now)

- Calls from rMBP are working

- Continuity (picking up safari e.g. on the other device) is working

BUT, WHY ON EARTH CAN'T I GET Instant Hotspot working?

My rMBP sees my iPhone in the wifi network list but every single time I get the message:

" Failed to enable Personal Hotspot on "Michel's iPhone 6 Plus" Check to see if the tethering device is turned on and in range of your computer "

Could anyone be so kind to tell me what I am missing???

Thanks!

Michel

Oct 22, 2014 12:08 PM in response to MichelG1970

I got mine to work after a few steps. I did the following but I think step 4 was probably the only one needed and didn't need to do step 1-3

1. Reset both my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini holding lock and home button for 5-10 seconds

2. Reset Network settings on both iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.

3.Changed Name of phone under Settings --> About --> Name (mine was out of sync with my hotspot info)

4. On the iPad, Click the information icon beside the hotspot (i within a circle). Click the "Forget This Network" button.

Oct 27, 2014 2:43 AM in response to tecsi12

Same issue here. iPhone 6+ absolutely refuses to be seen as hotspot by MBA. Older iPad 2012 works perfectly and appears to MBA as a hotspot, even with Personal Hotspot turned off (wifi and bluetooth have to be ON). Tried resetting network settings on iPhone, changing device name, hard resetting, logging out/in iCloud; everything. Nothing works!

Instant Hotspots not working iOS 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.