Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDD fan noise after Yosemite

HHi everyone, I have just upgraded to Yosemite on my late 2009 21.5 imac. The next morning the fan noise was terrible....over 5000 rpm on the HDD fan the CPU fan is running around 1000 this is according to smcfancontrol . I had a harddrive upgrade a year or so ago while I was on Mavericks and had no bother with fans everything ran quietly. There is no heavy put on the iMac it's just home use no no gaming etc. In fact the iMac has very light use. I can't help,thinking it has something to do with the Yosemite upgrade. I have loads of space and 8 ram and I Tb Hd. Has anyone got any ideas how to stop the noise. I have done SMC reset. SHould i should I do a PRAM reset as well....any help will be much appreciated .

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 11:42 PM

10 replies

Oct 21, 2014 4:51 AM in response to Macette26

Hello, uninstall smcFanControl. Restart your Mac. Install the update on your mac (appstore and go to the menu to date). If you have the same problem, go to exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/ download and install. He will tell you to reboot after installation. To reboot the mac launch ssdfanctrl in application and select "Smart". Close the application and to reboot the mac.

Nov 15, 2014 10:18 PM in response to Macette26

I'm having same issue with newer late-2012 iMac. I actually had a problem with Yosemite install but finally got it running only to have fan noise. Brought in to Apple and turns out I had failing HD. Got HD replaced.

But now I still am dealing with same loud fan noise. Really annoying. I installed smcfancontrol but everything seems to be running ok. Not sure if it's fan or just the HD making loud noise. Either way it's pretty unreasonable for a computer that previously was whisper quiet. 😟

Nov 15, 2014 11:55 PM in response to tombonneau

I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem...I really hope its not a HD problem as I just got a new upgrade to 1 TB last year. The stories I have read said changing the HD caused the problem in 2009 iMacs. This didn't happen while on Mavericks for me but did for other people, seems Yosemite has picked it up for me, they say it has something to do with the sensor thinking its overheating when its not due to the upgrade. I am not tech minded so have not got a clue what is happening, just know that after Yosemite was put on the fan started roaring. I did put SMC fan control on but it only had a manual control and wasn't sure what to set it at also could only see one fan at a time. So removed that and now have SSD fan control it shows the two fans and has SMART control which apparently works on the temp. if you have had a HD transplant and it keeps all quiet. I keep an eye on the temp. just to make sure it doesn't raise up to far it mostly stays in the 30's. Thats the thing I could not understand the fan roaring but the temp. was only in 30's. I am waiting for Yosemite update to see what happens, it probably won't change a thing but I live in hope. I dont leave the mac in sleep anymore I shutdown just in case, which means i don't use it as much, which is a shame I use to jump on and off regularly now reduced to less than an hour a day because of the boot up time quicker to use iPad ....I have read and saw on youtube people returning to Apple and still have the same problem so wonder if its worth it. The one thing I haven't done is the hardware test. Wonder if its worth a try but a bit nervous about doing it. If you find out anything more please post. :-)

Nov 18, 2014 3:57 AM in response to Macette26

I have the crazy fan activity on my 2011 MBP, and I don't have a hard drive installed—just a SSD.

At first I did the normal upgrade to Yosemite from Mavericks. I didn't notice excessive fan noise then, but I had the terrible wi-fi problems lots of people are experiencing. Over the weekend I did a clean install of Yosemite. My wi-fi is better, but now I have the fan noise! Updating to 10.10.1 hasn't fixed it.

Dec 1, 2014 6:19 AM in response to Macette26

I have 2009 imac and have the fan noise started few days from upgrade to Yosemite, I am thinking mostly due to the new apple photo i installed from app store to be compatible with Yosemite, I did all the online suggestions like resetting the controller and whatever they suggested but no luck, I took the mac to the apple store, but to my luck, it didn't do the noise there for over an hour, they ran all the hardware testing, malware test and other " stress test" and was normal function. I don't have any new HD installed at all, all from the original factory. I came back home and starting doing the same noise.

the apple genius guy told me that they need to reinstall the Yosemite again and hopefully that will solve the problem. I think there are too many people having this issue and it looks like software problem.

Feb 8, 2015 5:54 PM in response to rhindosh1

I still am having a similar issue. No word back from Apple on anything, and no new information that I know of. I do know that at certain times, various sensors appear to drop out or not respond, as evidenced by iStat Menus. I have even opened up the machine to make sure that everything was physically connected and not loose. I still have no further insight as to what may be going on.

Mar 10, 2015 2:15 PM in response to Macette26

Reporting similar issue. Using a late-2013 Macbook Pro, did a complete wipe and reinstall of my OS yesterday, and decided to upgrade to Yosemite in the process. Everything went smoothly, but I'm having the same roaring fan issue that everyone is reporting. Would be nice to hear a word about this from someone at Apple...

May 13, 2015 10:15 PM in response to Macette26

I've experienced a similar issue with the fans spinning up, but it only began after updating to 10.10.3 and only when using the new Photos app. As soon as I quit Photos the fans go quiet. My library has over 20k images and ran without issues in iPhoto.

I'm running an early 2011, 15 in MacBook Pro with a 2GHZ i7, 16GB RAM and 1 TB HDD (Seagate ST1000LM014)

I've reset the NVRAM (Command-Option-P-R @ boot), booted into safe mode (Shift ⇧ @ boot) run all native utilities and the Apple Hardware Test (Option-D @ boot) reports no problems found...any thoughts or suggestions?

Jul 5, 2015 9:54 PM in response to Nerocl

Yesterday, I updated my old imac to Yosemite, and the fan noise quickly became intolerable. Although I am old, I managed to go through a number of possible solutions including the internet article about '13 Tips to Optimize Your Mac After Yosemite Upgrade.' To my amazement, I was able to do things like 'resetting the SMC' and 'resetting the PRAM.' Nothing worked. The computer just roared on.

Finally, after doing more research, I installed the HDD Fan Control Monitor app this afternoon, and the racket just stopped. It has not recurred in spite of intense usage the rest of the day. It appears to have been the solution for my problem.

HDD fan noise after Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.