Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to stop online icloud mail from auto download all attachments

Hi!

Today, 10/21/2014 my iCloud in browsers started doing very strange thing.

All attachments in mails are now automatically downloaded when I just select email!

Does anybody know how to stop this extra bothering behavior?

Got tons of mails, have to browse them, search in them - for example, when I have 10 mail from same sender, all with pdf attachment with size 5MB, I have to click to all of those 10 mails and now - iCloud download all attachments! And when I have to switch between more mails more times, it download attachment every time I select mail with attachment.

This happens today for first time, never before faced to this, no updates, no settings change.

Thanks for advice.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Mac mini (mid 2011)

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 1:18 AM

16 replies

Dec 10, 2014 4:57 AM in response to Tomas Vrabec

Me too but it only seems to happen on pdfs for me. The only thing that I've been able to do is to always ask before opening attachments. But that is still frustrating as you still have to decline. But not as frustrating as the continual opening of attachments. It seems to be a mail problem, rather than a pdf reader problem as it happens on both acrobat and pdf creator.

Jan 22, 2015 6:55 AM in response to Tomas Vrabec

I am using Chrome v40.0.2214.91 m - on a PC - and it’s not causing a problem – so this could be a workaround for now.

However, the latest Firefox v35.0 on a PC is causing the same problem. If you have to use Firefox then you can ask it to prompt you before downloading but this is still annoying so I would go for Chrome.

Haven’t tested this on a MAC yet..

Jan 31, 2015 4:03 AM in response to Tomas Vrabec

I have the exact same problem, using iCloud Mail on Firefox.

It even autodownloads PDFs from my own SENT emails, when I have to click on them to be able to print them out ... which adds annoyment to the already existing annoyment about incoming PDFs.

As I am currently sending out (and having to print them out for my files) many job applications with several PDF attachments, all these are always downloaded as well, so my download folder is chock full with a number of copies of MY OWN SENT OUT PDFs over and over again, which is totally stupid and extremely annoying, because I have SENT THEM OUT, so why on earth would I need to automatically download a copy of what I sent out?

Still no answer Apple? Are you just trying to ride this one out?
Disappointing, to say the least.

Can someone tell me HOW can I tweak Firefox to at least PROMPT me before trying to automatically download anything instead of just doing it without asking?

Feb 4, 2015 3:11 PM in response to Tomas Vrabec

I had this annoying problem as well. I use Firefox 35.01 browser and Yosemite OS. The problem is a setting in the browser that is telling an application to open all .pdfs (in my case with Adobe Acrobat Pro) with a particular application when .pdfs are encountered. In Firefox, go to Preferences/Applications and you will see the columns Content Type and Action. In the Content Type column, scroll down list to Portable Document Format/... and in the Action Column you will have a dropdown menu where you can choose the Action. Probably, your action is set to one of the many choices besides Always Ask. Set this to Always Ask and then when you are perusing your mail in iCloud, and touch down on an email with a .pdf attachment, it will ask if you want to open it instead of just doing it.

Mar 2, 2015 5:15 AM in response to ezebosch

I had this annoying problem as well. I use Firefox 35.01 browser and Yosemite OS. The problem is a setting in the browser that is telling an application to open all .pdfs (in my case with Adobe Acrobat Pro) with a particular application when .pdfs are encountered. In Firefox, go to Preferences/Applications and you will see the columns Content Type and Action. In the Content Type column, scroll down list to Portable Document Format/... and in the Action Column you will have a dropdown menu where you can choose the Action. Probably, your action is set to one of the many choices besides Always Ask. Set this to Always Ask and then when you are perusing your mail in iCloud, and touch down on an email with a .pdf attachment, it will ask if you want to open it instead of just doing it.

how to stop online icloud mail from auto download all attachments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.