Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay at Walgreens required PIN entry

Used Apple Pay for a $4 purchase on my Citibank debit card and had to enter my pin on the terminal in order to complete the transaction.

Can anyone explain why ? I thought one of the the main points was of NFC payments was to make PINs redundant.

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 11:04 AM

True, How many times was your account Charged? For me it also differed from store to store (or cashier maybe?) wether it asked for pin or not

11 replies

Oct 21, 2014 1:27 PM in response to DogFloyd

Well, just tried using Apple Pay at MacDonalds using the same Citibank debit card and it went straight through - no PIN required. Exactly as I was expecting it to work. I did chat with a Citibank rep this morning who told me that it's a security thing and the PIN request shouldn't happen again after the first transaction but I didn't get the feeling she really knew what she was talking about. Guess I need to go back to Walgreens to try it again.

And in response to earlier question, I was only charged once for the transaction at Walgreens that required a PIN entry - although I have seen many reports of folks being charged twice.

Apple Pay at Walgreens required PIN entry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.