Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't backup to iCloud after iOS 8.1 update?

I've never had an issue with backing up any of my devices to iCloud, however yesterday I updated to iOS 8.1 OTA. When I tried to back up last night, it says I'm out of storage space. Nothing has changed though. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?User uploaded file

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 3:50 AM

I am have exactly the same issue!

41 replies

Oct 22, 2014 11:22 AM in response to thegrj

I have this issue all of a sudden also, after updating to iOS 8.1 (I confirmed that the last successful backup to iCloud was prior to installing the latest update). I even turned off photos backup to iCloud, thinking that I had perhaps just accumulated too many photos, but still no success. I have just the one iPhone 5 in my iCloud account. Sounds like something has changed that is either using a LOT more iCloud storage, or something is computing the amount of storage needed for a backup incorrectly. Meanwhile, I've backed up the phone to a Windows XP computer..

Oct 24, 2014 8:46 AM in response to thegrj

I had the same issue after ios 8.1 update. Iphone told me icloud backup was not completed because I did not have enough space which I do have enough space. So I deleted my backup from icloud. NOW my iphone does have a opinion in the icloud menu to even do a backup. Apple you have an issue here!!!

This is my big problem with Apple support: they know they have an issue (or should know) but they never let anyone know until they are good and ready to put out an update.

Apple you could avoid a lot of user frustration and anxiety if they would just knowledge these kind of issues ASPA and let us know when is will be fixed.

Instead I spend two hours fishing around for an answer that isn't available yet, with no way to even know if Apple is even aware that they have a problem that needs to be address.

Apple you need to put up a know issue page....please!!

Sep 17, 2015 12:24 PM in response to thegrj

Everyone this appears to be a bug with iCloud after updating to 8.1.

Here is how I fixed the problem on my iPhone.

1. Manual backup your phone to iTunes if you are concerned.
  2. Delete your old backup from iCloud
    1. Go to: Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage > (select device under "BACKUPS" that is giving you problems) > scroll to bottom and "Delete Backup"
    2. Your iCloud should report more storage now, example 20GB available of 20GB etc.
  3. Force a backup to iCloud

Settings > iCloud > Backup (needs to be turned on after deletion) > enable iCloud Backup > Back Up Now

My phone stopped reporting that storage was full after I performed these steps.

Hope it helps.

Oct 31, 2014 7:14 AM in response to Blade_27

Blade_27, you may just need to be a bit more patient. Probably what's going on is that some sort of incremental backup scheme (a la Time Machine) is being used, and since we deleted the backups, the first time the phone is backed up, it will have to do a full backup. Mine sat with that "Estimating time remaining.." message on the screen for 10 or 15 minutes, then took nearly another half-hour to actually finish the backup. I'm guessing that the next time a backup is done, only the changes since the first backup will have to be transferred and it will take a lot less time.

Nov 4, 2014 8:53 AM in response to velvetmidget

I've tried Velvet's method but it appears to only work once; the next time my phone tries to backup the issue returns. It looks like iCloud is improperly calculating how much storage is needed to perform a backup. If the new backup will be the same size as the existing backup, there should be no storage problem. However, it looks like it thinks it needs enough storage to hold the both the previous backup and the new backup at once, when obviously the new backup should replace the old.

Nov 13, 2014 2:57 PM in response to thegrj

I had the same problem. By deleting the old backup this was resolved. The iCloud system had not backed up for over a month.

I assume this means that I will have to do this manually until Apple fixes the problem.

Looks like an easy fix for Apple but it would be nice if they acknowledged the problem and provided the simple workaround and an estimated time for update.

Apple appears to be frustrating a lot of customers unnecessarily.

Can't backup to iCloud after iOS 8.1 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.