Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does synching my iPhone 5 with iTunes require ever more memory even when no new apps have been added and no new music files, etc.

When synching my iPhone with iTunes, despite not having added any new files or apps, the synch requires ever more deletions of files just to synch... it seems I am losing GB of space simply in order to be able to synch, even when I have not added anything to the phone in weeks... this is troubling, given that I have about 12 GB free on the phone, and need to continuously delete more files...

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 7:16 AM

11 replies

Oct 21, 2014 8:51 AM in response to FoxFifth

It basically says tghat the synch could not be completed due to lack of space on the iPhone... then it tells me that it needs to have X amount additional space, and that I should delete files to free up that amount of space the exact amount of space varies... last week it needed 1.4 GB... today it needed 3mb... nothing had been added to the phone for a number of weeks...

Oct 21, 2014 8:52 AM in response to paulsilver

Same problem. Every time there is an Apple demanded upgrade I have to first delete all songs and photographs so that the hungry hound of Mac death can then invade and consume the majority of space for applications and devices I do not nor will I use.

The now iOS is even hungrier than those prior. Also Yosemite in general at up an extra 8 gigs of memory than was previously used. Is there a fix for this and will there be one close by?

Oct 21, 2014 10:15 AM in response to paulsilver

paulsilver -- You've probably already done this -- but just in case -- have you checked the Movies, TV shows, and Photos tabs of iTunes to verify that it isn't set to sync data that you weren't aware of from the computer?

Also (and more likely to help), the following document has a number of steps that may resolve the issue: iOS: "Not enough free space" alert when trying to sync

Oct 22, 2014 2:44 PM in response to Wrekcut

The posts are portions of my overall post. I cannot post it all at once and I have to leave a section out because it say "you have included content in your post that is not permitted."

What is wrong with this site? I am not swearing or saying things I shouldn't, I am just describing the issue and looking for help.

why does synching my iPhone 5 with iTunes require ever more memory even when no new apps have been added and no new music files, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.