Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air, updated to iOS 8.1. Wifi almost unusable

I'm using an iPad Air. I've always kept the version of iOS up to date, and have never had wifi issues. Yesterday I updated from 8.0.2 to 8.1 and ever since the wifi has been really slow (0.1mbps instead of 10mbps). All other devices are fine. I've tried resetting the network settings on the ipad, and it fixes the problem for about 5 minutes, but then the speed drops again. After a bit of investigation, I see that this is an issue that a lot of people had with earlier versions of iOS 8, but it's never happened to me before 8.1.

Is there a reliable workaround to this problem, or do I need to wait for Apple to fix this (new?) problem with iOS 8.1?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 7:59 AM

90 replies

Oct 21, 2014 1:33 PM in response to ben909909

I phoned Apple about this, and they essentially talked me through what I'd already done.... i.e reset network settings on iPad and restart my router. As I expected the wifi speed returned to normal, but only for a short while, and now it's back to around 0.1mbps.

I wish Apple gave us the option to rollback to our previous version of the operating system. Hoping for a quick resolution to this.

Oct 22, 2014 2:32 AM in response to ben909909

Hi Guys,

I had the same problems after upgrading to 8.1. First slow wifi, then after network settings reset My devices (Iphone 6 and Ipad Air) wouldn't even connect to wifi... The Iphone did connect after a while, but it was very very slow. The Ipad could only connect if I entered manually the IP, gateway, etc. but this was no solution, because the wifi was still slow and unstable. So I was very angy and upset...

After it I reseted the network settings again, turned off the wifi on both devices, rebooted them and also rebooted my router. After this everything worked for me as they should, Iphone and Ipad had good wifi connections and were fast as they should be.

I think the key was for me the router reboot. So maybe it is worth a try to reboot Your routers also.

Best luck,

G

Oct 22, 2014 7:23 AM in response to NokedLee

I Am experiencing similar problems with connect and drop problems with my wifi like I had with 802. First upgrading to 8.1 was fine but after a day the issues are the same. However, this only happens at my home network but i don't experience it at work. At work I have a 30/30 M line but at home I have a .8/8 M up/down line. At home my wifi on my iPad Air gets disconnected when try to stream some videos on my NBA app.

APple needs to fix this issue.

Oct 23, 2014 2:23 AM in response to WBRacing

wifi with 8.1 is still unstable. Wifi connection gets dropped when I stream videos, like an NBA video on the NBA app. This is true for my iPad Air & iPhone 5 with 8.1. However, this phenomena only occurs at home. With my wifi network at work I have none of these wifi connection problems. My assumption is that at work I have a 30/30M up/down line but at home I have a .8/8 M line. This is really puzzling.

iPad Air, updated to iOS 8.1. Wifi almost unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.