Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages on iMac

Greetings,

I have a problem with Pages on the iMac. I work away from my office on the iPad with Pages. These doc’s sync to iCloud with no problem but Pages on the iMac cannot see them. Both are using the same apple ID as is iCloud. I cannot see why this would happen. Both the iPad and the iMac are running the latest OS from Apple . Does anyone have an idea why the Mac won’t sync with iCloud? This problem is causing a lot of problems work wise.

Many thanks

Mike

iMac 2.8Ghz 2GB, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 7:56 AM

7 replies

Oct 24, 2014 8:34 AM in response to mikehr

Hi mikehr,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I know that it can be frustrating when you cannot access updated documents across all of your devices. There are some troubleshooting steps that I would recommend in this situation. Please read over the attached article and work through the steps to help isolate and resolve the situation.

iCloud: Troubleshooting Documents in the Cloud

Updates made on your Mac

1. Check the iCloud system requirements and make sure that you're using the latest version of Pages, Numbers, or Keynote.
  2. In the iCloud pane of System Preferences, confirm that you're signed in to iCloud and the Documents & Data checkbox is selected.
  3. Confirm that the document is in your iCloud Documents Library: Open the application for the document and choose File > Open. Make sure the iCloud icon on the upper-left side is selected. If your document does not appear in the list, navigate to your document in the Finder. Drag your document from the Finder window into the Open documents window. You should see a small cloud icon and "Waiting" appear under the document icon. When the document has been uploaded to iCloud, a date appears under the icon.

Cheers,

Joe

Oct 24, 2014 11:29 AM in response to AppleJoe

Hi Joe,

I have checked that I have the latest OS on the iMac and iPad air including the latest versions of pages and numbers. In preferences under iCloud I have both pages and numbers ticked.

When I create a pages or numbers doc on the iPad it will show in iCloud.com but not on the mac via the two programs.

I have reset the iPad as new and installed fresh but with no luck. I have reinstalled the two programs on the iMac a couple of times also with no luck.

It is almost as if they were created on the iPad with pre Yosemite versions but that iOS i snot actually the case.

I am not sure what else to do. This is causing me great problems as I work as a lawyer in Police Stations and create the reports on my cases on the iPad and then work later finishing them off on the iMac. The only way I can get them onto Pages on the Mac is to download from iCloud.com and then drag onto pages on the Mac but end up of course with ore than one version which could be problematic.

I am at a loss here.

Any suggestions. It may be a corrupt file on the Mac but have no idea which in the library or system files.

Mike

Oct 25, 2014 5:46 PM in response to mikehr

Did you update the iPad to IOS 8.1 that was released on Monday the 20th of October? If not, that may be the missing link in document synchronization. Is your iPad recent enough to support document synchronization via handoff? You work on your document on the iPad, and when you get back to the iMac, there will be a segment on the left end of the Dock, where Pages v5.5 will show that you have work in progess. You then click this, and Pages v5.5 resumes exactly where you left off in your document on your iPad.

When you say you have both Pages and Numbers "clicked" in OS X iCloud preferences, you are referring to their presence within iCloud Drive Option… are you not?

I have not updated to IOS 8 yet, so will not be any help there with preferences settings.

Oct 26, 2014 2:55 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi there,

Many thanks for your kind reply.

Yes the iPad was updated at the time 8.1. I also did a complete return to factory settings of the iPad and then manually selected pages and numbers (which has the same problem) and installed them afresh. My iPad is the Air version 1 so should work with no problems. I didn’t restore as thought there may be a corrupt file?

The iMac is running Yosemite latest version as well and again have reinstalled Pages a few times.

Not sure what you mean by the segment on the doc as have never seen this.

iCloud options allow you to selected pages for document transfer which is enabled.

The iPad documents upload fine to iCloud.com it is just that the Mac cannot see them for what ever reason, which is very strange. However I have just tried something.

I downloaded from iCloud.com a missing file and edited it on pages on the Mac and put back in the cloud and Pages on the mac can now see it, god alone knows why.

This is really odd. Pages on the Mac is 5.5 and should see without a problem. Editing the Doc and putting back in the cloud makes the file visible. Sadly thesis the wrong way round as I need them from the iPad to be visible.

Im at a loss

Mike

Pages on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.