Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iMessage splitting group conversations into multiple threads after upgrading to iOS 8?

After upgrading to iOS 8 my group messages keep getting split up into different threads. Everybody in the threads have iPhones and before upgrading they were all working and sending/receiving iMessages just fine.

Now I'll have 2-3 threads with the same contacts (using their same phone numbers, not another contact point like iCloud email, Apple ID, etc.). My phone sometimes recognizes that the group is the same because it will automatically name the group the same thing, but other times it just puts the names of the people in the "To" line. In addition, some of the threads won't let me send iMessage so I have to reply in one thread and receive messages in the other (I send iMessages in thread A but the replies from the same people come back in thread B, but if I try and reply in thread B I can only send text messages even though all contact info is the same).

Update after OS X Yosemite: After upgrading to Yosemite, my Messages app on my MacBook Pro is now splitting the threads as well. It used to be that the computer understood the contacts were the same so all messages should be under one thread and just my phone was having this issue, but the upgrade changed that.

I have tried signing in and out of iMessage, upgrading to the latest iOS, turning on and off my phone, starting new groups, only replying to certain groups, etc. but nothing has worked.

Thanks!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2017 3:23 PM

How wonderful, what an easy fix, and all these smart people missed it !

No, wait, it didn't work, sigh

Hey Apple, seriously how hard would it be to consolidate two different threads? Yeah yeah I know there's a lot of variables, but if it just works then use your brains to figure it out, this is a really really really embarrassingly sloppy Microsoft/Google-ish screw up.

Fix it, fix it now

Does this remind anybody of when they first did iCloud and totally screwed up everybody's data ?

Someone got fired over that, I'm just saying...

65 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2017 3:23 PM in response to jngaines

How wonderful, what an easy fix, and all these smart people missed it !

No, wait, it didn't work, sigh

Hey Apple, seriously how hard would it be to consolidate two different threads? Yeah yeah I know there's a lot of variables, but if it just works then use your brains to figure it out, this is a really really really embarrassingly sloppy Microsoft/Google-ish screw up.

Fix it, fix it now

Does this remind anybody of when they first did iCloud and totally screwed up everybody's data ?

Someone got fired over that, I'm just saying...

Oct 27, 2014 5:26 PM in response to RoshBaby2

Im having the same problem. This started with iOS 8 and Yosemite. Im in a group message with 10 people with and without iPhones. Currently have 9 threads and when ever a new person responds a new thread forms. they all have the same people but in a different order, that may be part of the reason why iMessage doesn't recognize them as the same conversation.

As I'm writing this post 3 new threads opened and other people with and without iPhones are mentioning the same problem

hope apple can fix this. VERY annoying

Aug 29, 2017 7:13 AM in response to RoshBaby2

If someone in your group switches to Android and no longer has iMessage and your iMessage starts splitting group chats into multiple threads, delete all threads with the Android user, delete the Android user from your contacts, restart your phone, add the Android user back to contacts, start group thread over. Should work.

Nov 4, 2014 7:50 AM in response to RoshBaby2

I am having the same problem also. Everyone appears to be on the New iOs most of the phones are 5's or 5s' I have the only 6. The newest issue was this weekend I sent a text to 2 members of the group text in a separate text. One of them received it in the group text and replied in the group text not the one with just the 3 of us.

Nov 6, 2014 7:40 PM in response to RoshBaby2

I am having this issue also. Have an iPhone 6, MacBook, and iMac that are both running Yosemite. iPhone has 8.1. My brother also has an iPhone 6, and has no problem with the group conversations, even if we're in the same group text. His will show all the contacts in the group, while mine will only show 10. The only real difference we have between our setups, is that he has service through Verizon, and I'm on AT&T.

Following this thread, and hoping to get a fix soon.

Why is iMessage splitting group conversations into multiple threads after upgrading to iOS 8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.