Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text/msn group message chat not syncing with all member

I have an issue with a text / msn message Group of 3. Before my IOS 8 update it worked without any issue. Now whenever I send a message to anyone in the group it goes directly to them and not in the group. The other 2 members are fine - when they send a message to the group in goes in the group. Whenever I send a message in the group it goes to them individually. I have read that one way around this is to delete the group and re-create it it, this will solve the problem, however if I do that I loose all the chat history in the group along with photos etc which I want to avoid loosing. Does anyone have a solution or workaround to this as am looking to fix the group without deleting and re-creating.

Thanks in advance

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 8:50 AM

3 replies

Oct 24, 2014 9:12 AM in response to ac69

Hi ac69,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that this type of issue can be very frustrating. The first troubleshooting step I would recommend would be checking the Message settings and verifying that Group Messaging is turned on. Please let me know if the issue continues.

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages

Go to Settings > Messages and turn on group messaging if you're sending a group message.

Cheers,

Joe

Oct 24, 2014 10:39 AM in response to AppleJoe

I'm also having this issue.

I have a group chat that contains three members. Myself and one other on iPhones, and one on an Android device. Rarely does the group chat work. Generally, the Android user does not get my texts, even though 8.1 was supposed to allow this. I have tried deleting the conversation, then starting a new group with them, and it works for a short time, then not again until I delete the conversation. I have Send as SMS on, as well as Group Messaging. I also use iMessage on my iMac thats running Yosemite, and it works even less. This morning, both group members sent messages, which I received, but when I replied via my iPhone, while having the chat open on my iMac, I saw that my message showed as sent to the group in my phone, but as a new message to no contact on my iMac. Neither members of the group received my text. This is incredibly frustrating! I have also reset the network settings multiple times, with no success. In the message settings, I've also removed all message contact options(email addresses) and have it set just to my phone number. This didn't help either. Any ideas?

Oct 26, 2014 3:38 AM in response to ac69

Ok, so I managed to solve the issue in the end - I took a trip to the Apple store in Covent Garden.

Even though I had my iMessage turned on in my iPhone it wasn't picking this up so to fix it I did this:

From my iPhone > Settings > Messages > iMessage

My current setting for iMessage was already on, I turned this off, and then turned it on again (I know, classic, have you tried turning it off and on again). This then re-set my iPhone to use iMessage (it took a couple of minutes to re-set). This did the trick and my group is now working and I retained all the chat history.

Text/msn group message chat not syncing with all member

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.