Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari can't find the server

Since updating to Yosemite and Safari 8.0, I frequently encounter the following problem: I am checking out the Apple web site, and click on a link inside the web site, and here comes an error message: "Safari was unable to open the URL ... because it could not find the server www.apple.com".

This happens with many other web sites. This is very frustrating, and I would hope that there is a solution for this problem....

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2015 5:35 PM

After an hour with apple support I tried the advice posted here and it worked!

If other user doesn't work, system related problem is occurred. Shut your mac down. Restart it and press CMD+R during start up. Here we go , you will see Recovery Partition screen. Click on Get Online Support. Try to hit your website. If yes: There is no DNS or IP related problem, your modem works fine, there is a problem in your Software. Turn on your computer, go to system preferences > network (be sure it seems connected)> Location > " + " new one(name is not important probably you will have untitled 2)> Choose previous one and " - " delete it. > Apply changes. refresh safari. Here you go! it solved mine.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2015 5:35 PM in response to drenthe

After an hour with apple support I tried the advice posted here and it worked!

If other user doesn't work, system related problem is occurred. Shut your mac down. Restart it and press CMD+R during start up. Here we go , you will see Recovery Partition screen. Click on Get Online Support. Try to hit your website. If yes: There is no DNS or IP related problem, your modem works fine, there is a problem in your Software. Turn on your computer, go to system preferences > network (be sure it seems connected)> Location > " + " new one(name is not important probably you will have untitled 2)> Choose previous one and " - " delete it. > Apply changes. refresh safari. Here you go! it solved mine.

Sep 14, 2017 5:06 PM in response to drenthe

I found the answer to be almost TOO EASY. Go to Safari in the upper Left. Then to Preferences. Then go to GENERAL. Once there you will type in HOME PAGE as http://google.com It's the .COM you MUST add to the page. NOT: GOOGLE NOT http://google BUT http://google.com. Had the same problem and I stumbled on this using another search engine (yahoo) and once there I looked up google (search) and at the top of the page where it tells you where you are is showed http://google.com so I typed that in my safari preferences and VIOLA! Problem SOLVED!

Good Luck and I hope this works for you as it did me.

Oct 21, 2014 10:38 PM in response to drenthe

The only suggestion I have at the moment is to try using different DNS servers to see if the problem is resolved. It's easy enough to switch servers:

Open System Preferences, Network. Click on the Advanced tab, and then select the DNS tab at the top.

In the dialog box that opens, click on the small plus sign at the bottom and add these two servers:

Those are the Google Public DNS servers which generally are faster and more responsive than that of a typical ISP. Let me know if it works for you.

May 31, 2015 3:04 AM in response to drenthe

For this kind of issues there are some Troubleshooting steps;

I assume that google DNS is not working!

You can see this post in 2 way:

1-) To learn all troubleshooting steps for any internet connection issues, skip #2 and keep reading the post till the end.

2-)Go to the end of the post, read the bold places. Try it and if it doesn't work turn #1

 First of all Im sure that you tried to open another page, probably it is working. Only a specific page is not working.

What you can do is try to send ping to website. Go to Finder > Go>Utilities > Network Utility> Ping: write here the landing page's URL. Send ping. If it is not working, try the next tab LOOK UP. if you can not get any solutions. Don't give up!

 Check safari in other user if working, it means you have user specific problem, turn your user and delete all cookies, caches etc.

 If other user doesn't work, system related problem is occurred. Shut your mac down. Restart it and press CMD+R during start up. Here we go , you will see Recovery Partition screen. Click on Get Online Support. Try to hit your website. If yes: There is no DNS or IP related problem, your modem works fine, there is a problem in your Software. Turn on your computer, go to system preferences > network (be sure it seems connected)> Location > " + " new one(name is not important probably you will have untitled 2)> Choose previous one and " - " delete it. > Apply changes. refresh safari. Here you go! it solved mine.

please let us know 😉

Apr 23, 2016 7:40 AM in response to drenthe

Simple solution that worked for me after trying some more complicated steps.... Safari was working properly on all devices except one of my MBPs.

Turn Off Wi-Fi on effected device/computer

Unplug Router from power supply (in my case Time Capsule) - wait 30 secs and plug back in.

Once router is up and all lights are green - turn wi-fi back on your effected device/computer.

This is as complicated I want a solution to ever be... I hope it works for you too.

Safari can't find the server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.