Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installed iOS 8.1 on iPad2 now iPad totally frozen on apple logo.

installed iOS 8.1 on iPad2 now iPad totally frozen on apple logo. Recovery mode deletes all?

iPad 2, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 11:22 AM

I cannot even get to recovery mode, mine totally crashed and died..... 😠

66 replies

Oct 21, 2014 12:06 PM in response to faoa

It took hours on end of plugging it into the iTunes on my laptop. I just kept telling it to recover and restore. Whenever I got an error I would unplug and replug and it finally worked. If you did not back it up before hand be prepared to lose all content.

My opinion Apple should replace all the ipads if they are going to push updates through that ruins their products. Between me and my company we have spent over $5,000 on products in the past two years and now I feel as if they are pushing out products and updates just to get more money.

Oct 22, 2014 8:25 AM in response to dylan52

SAME HERE!!

I installed the update to iOS 8.1 yesterday - iTunes says there is a back up yesterday morning prior to my update.

After the update finally finished. It was stuck in a boot loop toggling between black screen and black screen with apple.

After plugging it in over and over to iTunes for fear my battery would die, it finally entered a restore mode. It restored as if it was new iPad. Tried to back up from iCloud, nothing available. Tried to restore from iTunes on computer, nothing. Everything is GONE with the exception of one webpage shortcut icon and my photos.

I attempted to restore from backup this morning again and still NOTHING>

This is my personal/busniess iPad and I have many Expensive apps I use daily in my therapy job!

Is there any hope? Is the $19.99 they are asking for a service chat worth it??? I do NOT want to pay them more money because of something I fee THEY screwed up. My iPad worked with NO kinks prior to the update yesterday.

Oct 22, 2014 8:51 AM in response to SLPAli

I highly doubt they will reimburse us for all the lost time, money, and frustration for all the issues they have caused. I lost everything I had on it. No backup available or anything. This really has me questioning spending more money with the company for the reliability. Unless their end game is to get people to upgrade from the older iPads so they can pad their pockets. At one point yesterday I told my boss I was going to take to the Apple store and just chuck it at them and say keep your crap. I don't even want to look at my iPad today.

Overall I think they should offer us some sort of compensation for the troubles. Either trade in $ to upgrade or reimburse for all the stuff we paid for and have lost......

Oct 22, 2014 9:18 AM in response to weekendhippie

After leaving my iPad2 with the Apple logo and plugged in, it FINALLY came up with the desktop...will have to see what performance is but considering Apple is selling iPad2's as the CURRENT low-end iPad, that should be the MINIMUM judge of what's acceptable in terms of REASONABLE/ACCEPTABLE speed!

Do iPad1 users still get update notices too, or is there a point that they stop receiving update notices when the machine is too old to handle it?

I'm actually annoyed I'm still receiving OSX notices even though my Mac is too old to run them; it's not till I try to download it that it tells me my Mac is too old...should never receive notice in the first place if my Mac is too old, and the same should be with the iPad!

Oct 22, 2014 3:22 PM in response to dylan52

Wow, mine just got fried about 2 hours ago now. Anyone find a better solution yet vs completely losing everything I have on it? Shame on Apple, this POS has been running slower and more twitchy with every update and now this one just shuts it down completely. I noticed a funny thing today too, my laptop, which is HP not Apple, had started runny poorly the past few days, got an iTunes update notice today and after installing, my laptop is back to normal. *** is that about?!?! I think I want Apple out of my life completely. I'm not into being controlled.

Oct 22, 2014 4:26 PM in response to dylan52

Bet Apple just saw a spike in iCloud data packages being sold.

I'm livid, this has ruined my week, I lost all the pictures I took today and hours of notes... such bad timing, but I guess it's my fault for trusting an update, even if it was OTA.

It's funny, I was desperately trying to get a file explorer program to recognize my phone, but after a dozen or so attempts I needed to, you know, make my cell phone work, so I had to restore it.

On the way home I went to play some music in my car and found 8.1 no longer played music via my vehicle's USB interface... Hoping that a one-off...

installed iOS 8.1 on iPad2 now iPad totally frozen on apple logo.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.