Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.1 still has Bluetooth issue with mazda

my music plays thru car just fine. Also can receive phone calls. Only problem now is I cannot connect when I make a call. Have to force the connection several times then phone call does not ring before someone answers on other end.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.0.2, Windows 8.1

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 7:09 AM

I have the exact same problem and have had it since iOS 8.0. iOS 8.0.2 and 8.1 had no effect on the issue. I've never had problems pairing, receiving incoming calls through the car, or playing music. The problem is only with outgoing calls. Under iOS 7.x, when you made an outgoing call, the radio would go silent as soon as the outgoing call started ringing and you would hear the ringing through the car's speakers. Now under iOS 8.x, outgoing calls will not go through the car until either the other side picks up or the call goes to voicemail. Only then you are able to manually flip the call to the car's bluetooth. The button has no effect until then. The call will never automatically flip to the car.

Under iOS 7.x:

1. Dial wife.

2. Have conversation.

Under iOS 8.x:

1. Turn down radio.

2. Dial wife.

3. Set call audio to speaker phone.

4. Wait for wife to answer.

5. Tell her to hang on.

6. Route call through the car.

7. Have conversation.

Not only is this new arrangement a pain and a step backwards in terms of functionality, it's also a lot more dangerous when driving. I was hoping iOS 8.1 would address this issue, and maybe it did for some cars, but not for mine.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

2009 Mazda 6 Grand Touring

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2014 7:09 AM in response to Flygirlhp

I have the exact same problem and have had it since iOS 8.0. iOS 8.0.2 and 8.1 had no effect on the issue. I've never had problems pairing, receiving incoming calls through the car, or playing music. The problem is only with outgoing calls. Under iOS 7.x, when you made an outgoing call, the radio would go silent as soon as the outgoing call started ringing and you would hear the ringing through the car's speakers. Now under iOS 8.x, outgoing calls will not go through the car until either the other side picks up or the call goes to voicemail. Only then you are able to manually flip the call to the car's bluetooth. The button has no effect until then. The call will never automatically flip to the car.

Under iOS 7.x:

1. Dial wife.

2. Have conversation.

Under iOS 8.x:

1. Turn down radio.

2. Dial wife.

3. Set call audio to speaker phone.

4. Wait for wife to answer.

5. Tell her to hang on.

6. Route call through the car.

7. Have conversation.

Not only is this new arrangement a pain and a step backwards in terms of functionality, it's also a lot more dangerous when driving. I was hoping iOS 8.1 would address this issue, and maybe it did for some cars, but not for mine.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

2009 Mazda 6 Grand Touring

Oct 22, 2014 9:31 PM in response to Jeremy Lee

Yes, I recently had to get a new phone because the screen was bulging due to a battery malfunction. The new phone started off spotty after a restore but now the BT does not find my car all. I have a Mazda with the Panasonic navigation/sound system.

I cannot get it to work and I have tried everything except going back to the pre-8.0 version. Nothing works. I thought the phone might be bad but it works with many other BT devices.

Frustrating.

Oct 23, 2014 5:09 AM in response to Flygirlhp

Since my upgrade to 8.1, my iPhone (4S) and my car's BT (Ford Sync) refuse to see each other. Each time I get back to my car, Ford Sync tries to reconnect to my phone but fails.... Deleting the profile from the car and phone and re-pairing gets it to work again... until the next time I get in the car... that *** big time.

Fix IT before I get a fine for using my phone while driving....

Oct 23, 2014 5:42 AM in response to flyingclyde

flyingclyde wrote:

Fix IT before I get a fine for using my phone while driving....

If you get a fine for using your phone while you're driving, that's on you, no one else. You do not need to use your phone while driving. And even if you did, you have a headphone w/ microphone included with the iPhone.

What did the vehicle manufacturer say when you asked about the issue?

Last time any of my iPhones wouldn't connect toy car's Bluetooth, I updated the Bluetooth profile in the car, and it started working immediately.

Have you explored that option, or simply assumed it's the fault of the phone?

Oct 23, 2014 11:25 PM in response to davidfromcamden

Yes, Sasquatch519 and DavidfromCamden are right. This was caused by the new iOS.

Sasquatch519 wrote:

I'm only trying to get back the functionality that worked under iOS 7 and doesn't work under iOS 8. It seems to be an iOS issue more than a Mazda issue.

In my case I had a red herring because my phone failed for other reasons after 15 months of use. When I got the new one and sent back the old one I could not get the functionality to work. Period. it was at the same time that the upgrade came out so I had to move to the new version.

When observing the BT pairing in Settings there are two issues. The "handsfree" setting is no longer there which was the name for my vehicle BT. The other devices has a constant network ring doing circles - forever.

However, there is something specific to only the car BT functionality. I think this is one area where the communication standard was not done correctly by the OEM who made the electronics. This is causing a compatibility issue and is probably something very simple (i.e. a double byte character being used where it is not allowed, etc.). I am going to contacting Mazda today to see if they have a response.

Oct 28, 2014 10:24 AM in response to Flygirlhp

Good news! I found a solution on another forum that appears to be working, at least for now. It's kind of annoying, but it seems to have fixed the outbound call issue for my 5s to my Mazda 3. I don't have a 6 but it might be worth trying for you 6 users as we

1) Unpair your phone from your car
2) Forget your Mazda bluetooth on your bluetooth settings

3) Reset all settings. You don't need to erase the content, just reset your settings. You will have to go back and change your settings back but it fixed my bluetooth outbound call issue (for now at least, let's see if it sticks).
4) Pair your phone with your car.

iOS 8.1 still has Bluetooth issue with mazda

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.