Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Headphone jack is not working after upgrade to yosemite

My headphone jack was perfectly ok till i was using Mavericks. However as soon as i upgraded to Yosemite the headphone jack stops working. I am not 100% sure that the software update has caused the issue but it is likely.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 11:44 AM

9 replies

Oct 22, 2014 12:05 PM in response to Aki710

I had the same problem and chatted with tech support and they told me to reset the PRAM and SMC which did not fix the issue. After contacting them a second time I was told my computer needs to be repaired. Which is not the problem it is a software issue.

What finally fixed it was (this was done after resetting the PRAM and SMC):

* Note: you can try this first and maybe it will solve your issue if not reset the PRAM and SMC then do the following.

1. Open system preferences

2. Chose sound

3. Chose Output then headphones

4. With headphones plugged in I checked the mute box on the bottom right and unchecked it they worked.

Then when unplugged the speakers didn't work so I did the same but choosing the internal speakers

OS X Mavericks: Reset your computer’s PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Hope this helps others!!

Nov 14, 2014 12:38 PM in response to Aki710

I had the same problem with Mavericks, and the upgrade to Yosemite still has not fixed this known software problem.

I have tried three different set of decent headphones (not dime store cheapies), and none of them show up unless I reboot my computer, and then become unusable if I allow the system to sleep.

I am very disappointed that Yosemite didn't fix this, but wasted time fiddling with the icons.

My final fix will be to use Bluetooth headphones, because the Bluetooth connection works fine.

-- MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (Version 10.10)

Headphone jack is not working after upgrade to yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.