Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

eMac G4 Connection Issue?

I recently switched ISP's and had to get a wired Ethernet connection for both my computers, well after making the switch and having everything work very well on my iMac and then the eMac, I sat down to watch a video on the eMac and YouView wouldn't load anything, I tried MacTubes, same thing. It appears any program that uses the internet to retrieve data isn't working on my computer.

Can anyone explain what to do in this situation, I'm fairly certain it's not the programs themselves and I have internet connection on the computer, so...I'm not sure what's wrong, please help

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 12:31 PM

8 replies

Oct 22, 2014 3:22 PM in response to lbonini1

Sorry if I'm asking any stupid questions but:

You said you had to get a wired Ethernet does this mean you were using wireless previously?

What Mac OS are you using?

Have you tried using a browser?

Are you connected to via phone or ethernet cable? (people often get this mixed up)

Just confirming the eMac is telling you via the menu bar or settings it has internet access?

Oct 22, 2014 4:26 PM in response to Legojer

Yes....it does have an internet connection and it is connected via Ethernet cable. Browsers work and the computer says it has internet connection, the problem comes from YouView & MacTubes crashing or timing out and this has been happening since the switch. I have tried connecting to my previous ISP's wireless router but it's the same result.

Oct 22, 2014 7:48 PM in response to lbonini1

Well assuming you are running Leopard: OS X: About the application firewall might be able to help you out.

If your running Tiger or lower I would try deleting and re-downloading MacTubes and Youview or whatever else you have that doesn't work.

Past that I don't really know what else to try, other than make sure you have the correct date and time set.

None of this has to do with ISPs but who knows.

Just to clarify you were using wireless before and wireless won't even work now?

Oct 23, 2014 1:25 PM in response to Legojer

Okay, let me re-state my issue, I don't think I made it clear enough before. Sorry.

On Sunday, my 700Mhz eMac from 2002 was connected to my old ISP's router via AirPort and this has been that way since November 2013 and it has been working flawlessly like this until Sunday when I switched to a new ISP, the new router I received was right next to my computer so I decided to forgo the wireless and hook straight into Ethernet.

My 21.5 Inch iMac from Mid-2011 works perfectly with Ethernet and MacTubes, YouView and any other program that uses the internet works.

The eMac however, while having a functioning browser, the 2 programs used most on it stopped working....I have tried uninstalling them both, re-installing, erasing the Hard Drive and re-installing Tiger to no avail.

I've tried connecting to the old router/ISP which is still active and the browser works, but MacTubes & YouView still don't work...

So to sum it up, Wireless Connection works perfectly and so does Ethernet, however those 2 programs still won't work.

Oct 23, 2014 3:15 PM in response to lbonini1

Hmm this is an interesting issue.

So standard web gets to both the iMac and the eMac, so the problem would have to be between the router and the eMac. But since you have literally erased anything software wise that could have been blocking the eMac's connectivity it would have to be on the router's end. But the likelihood that you router just doesn't like you eMac and likes your iMac is bizarre. Besides you tried using two different ISPs and two different routers. This really makes a pickle.

Let's make a list of where the problem could be:

MacTubes/YouView: No

New ISP: Maybe/probably not

Ethernet Cable: No

Wireless: No

Tiger: No

eMac Itself: VERY unlikely

Possibilities I can see at this point:

Both routers decided to hate your eMacs attempts to use MacTubes and YouView after switching ISPs.

eMac decided somehow in its hardware to block those connections.

Look into the new router settings while I really can't see this as changing anything its the only other possibility I can think of. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful...

Oct 24, 2014 5:16 PM in response to Legojer

Welp. I give up, everything else works (Even Spotify) on the eMac and flawlessly. The problem lies in MacTubes/YouView and frankly I'm not going to keep wasting anymore time on it because my family can use the iMac if they want to watch videos and furthermore, we've been planning on upgrading to a Core 2 Duo iMac (The aluminum ones that came after the iMac G5-Looking ones) We'll just keep our eMac as a backup/guest computer.

eMac G4 Connection Issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.