Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite - Open App On Particular Screen

I am wondering if there is a way to always open an app on a particular screen in Yosemite. In Maverick you could right click on the app in the dock and select Options>Assign To>Desktop on Display 1 such as the image below, I don't see this option in Yosemite. Is it gone? Do I have to enable this somewhere?

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 5:18 AM

Hi Kryptik Kode,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

The ability to assign an application to a specific space or display still exists in Yosemite, although the option does not appear unless you have multiple Spaces open.

If you are using multiple displays (monitors), you may need to enable this option in Mission Control preferences:

Displays have separate Spaces

If you use the Spaces feature and have multiple displays, you can set up separate spaces for each display.

OS X Yosemite: Mission Control preferences

If you want to switch between multiple Spaces on your Mac display, try this:

To quickly see and go to your spaces, zoom to Mission Control.

Create a space

1. Zoom to Mission Control, then move the pointer toward the upper-right corner of your screen. (If your Dock is on the right side of the screen, move the pointer toward the upper-left corner.)

2. To add a space, click Add User uploaded file. You can add up to 16 spaces.

Once you have created multiple Spaces, you should have the Options > Assign to option in your Dock and can follow these steps:

Assign apps to spaces

If you assign an app to a particular space, it opens in that space by default.

1. Press and hold an app’s icon in the Dock. You may have to first open the app from Launchpad to see its icon in the Dock.

2. From the shortcut menu that appears, do one of the following:

Have the app open in the current space: Choose Options > This Desktop.

The app appears only in that space. However, if you open the app in full screen, it appears in its own space.

OS X Yosemite: Work in multiple spaces

Best Regards,

Jeremy

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2015 5:18 AM in response to Kryptik Kode

Hi Kryptik Kode,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

The ability to assign an application to a specific space or display still exists in Yosemite, although the option does not appear unless you have multiple Spaces open.

If you are using multiple displays (monitors), you may need to enable this option in Mission Control preferences:

Displays have separate Spaces

If you use the Spaces feature and have multiple displays, you can set up separate spaces for each display.

OS X Yosemite: Mission Control preferences

If you want to switch between multiple Spaces on your Mac display, try this:

To quickly see and go to your spaces, zoom to Mission Control.

Create a space

1. Zoom to Mission Control, then move the pointer toward the upper-right corner of your screen. (If your Dock is on the right side of the screen, move the pointer toward the upper-left corner.)

2. To add a space, click Add User uploaded file. You can add up to 16 spaces.

Once you have created multiple Spaces, you should have the Options > Assign to option in your Dock and can follow these steps:

Assign apps to spaces

If you assign an app to a particular space, it opens in that space by default.

1. Press and hold an app’s icon in the Dock. You may have to first open the app from Launchpad to see its icon in the Dock.

2. From the shortcut menu that appears, do one of the following:

Have the app open in the current space: Choose Options > This Desktop.

The app appears only in that space. However, if you open the app in full screen, it appears in its own space.

OS X Yosemite: Work in multiple spaces

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Nov 5, 2014 10:29 AM in response to jeremy_v

I'm in the same boat. This feature does not present itself in Yosemite. I have 2 displays connected to a 27" iMac. (for a total of 3 displays). I've tried checking and unchecking "Displays have separate Spaces". Neither allow for the assigning of apps to specific spaces. Sometimes the apps will open on the same display, but sometimes they do not. New windows for apps randomly pop up on other displays.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dec 19, 2014 2:06 PM in response to Andrew Lamont

Hi Andrew,

Hopefully I can answer your question. I think I was in the same situation, where I have multiple monitors and I wanted to assign an application to a monitor, but I didn't have multiple "spaces" other than the monitors themselves.

Unfortunately, you won't get the option to assign an application unless you have at least 2 spaces on any particular monitor or "display." After you create an additional space as outlined in jeremy_v's post above, even if you don't use it (this is my setup), it will allow you to assign an application to a display.

Caution: be aware that the desktop numbers in Mission Control do not correspond to the display numbers in the Options menu on the Dock.

Aug 24, 2015 1:20 AM in response to domarm

I have one external monitor connected to a Macbook Pro.

As a result, I had two spaces by default: desktop 1 on the primary display and desktop 2 on the secondary display (in mission control, the option to create spaces for displays has to be checked).

However, in this default configuration, there is no option in Yosemite to assign an application to a specific desktop. These options are not displayed in the dock icon’s menu. Dragging the open application to another space did not work either. The next time I started the application, it’s back on desktop 1.

Apparently, one has to create a new space with mission control, e.g. desktop 3 on the secondary display.

I then assigned the application to that space.

Then it worked and the application would always run on the secondary display.

The odd thing is, if I then remove the space desktop 2, which means I would be back to one space for each desktop, it is still remembered by Yosemite. The option to assign the application to a specific desktop are now gone again, but the application would still start on the desktop I assigned it to before deleting the space desktop 3.

A slightly bizarre quirk 🙂

Sep 2, 2015 3:51 PM in response to jeremy_v

Same thing for me. I have 2 displays connected to a MacMini, I have six spaces on display and 2 on display 2. The "assign to" option is mostly nonexistent. I have a couple of apps which were apparently assigned to a specific desktop in the past, and the assign to option still show on them, but other apps that I would like to assign do not have the option, and the dropdown looks like this.User uploaded file

In the past this was a no brainer. Wish Apple would stop trying to IMPROVE my experience and leave things that work, alone.

Any idea how to get this functionality back? Thanks

Yosemite - Open App On Particular Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.