Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DTMF Touch Tones not working iPhone 6 plus

I recevied my new iPhone 6 Plus on the 4rd of Oct. Installed both 8 and 8.1 and continue to have issues using the phone with touch tone menus.

When dialing conference bridge numbers of 7-9 characters, it will never accept the tones as they are entered into the phone. But rather pick up some of the keys being input twice, for example 48390231 is read back to me as incorrect because the system on the other side got 4839002311. This starting immediately with the new phone. And clearly the iPhone display isn't listing them twice.

It is also not with just the conference bridge, but my bank, where I attempt to put in account numbers to get customer service, and just now with a credit card activation where I couldn't do it through the automated system.

I have tried powering off the device, back on, I have tried cleaning the screen, but as I said this happen day one out of the box. I held out for 8.1 to see if it was fixed, but this continues to be a major issue for me. I need to phone that properly does DTMF tone.

I ran across an earlier post from some Sprint users that did some kind of ##clean# command, even thought I tried that, I'm on Verizon, and it didn't appear to do anything at all.

Would love some assistance on this one.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 2:36 PM

10 replies

Jun 30, 2015 3:19 PM in response to Mattgr01

This problem occurs because the tones produced by my iPhone6 are too long. Instead of producing 100-300 millisecond duration tones like they should, my iPhone produces tones of about 500-550 milliconds. This will occasionally trick the device receiving the touch tones into thinking it got 2 touch tones instead of one. Standard touch tone durations range from 100 to 300 milliseconds maximum.. In summary, our iPhones produce nonstandard length tones which cause devices such as your conference bridge to hear them incorrectly.

I have no idea what to do to fix this issue, except to get a different phone....but I love my iPhone :-)

Oct 21, 2015 9:39 AM in response to Mattgr01

Any word on this from Apple? This has been a major issue for me since I got my 6S Plus. The only way I can get touch tones to work is to autodial them from FaceTime Audio continuity on my Mac, then switch the call over the to the phone. It does not even work when I click a conference call 'link' that is something like 877-555-5555,,1234567890# so the conference code should be dialed automatically without my touching the screen to send the numbers.

This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. It makes my phone almost useless for work since most of what I do with it is dial into conference calls.

Dec 9, 2015 12:24 PM in response to rockcityghost

I'm having the same issue, when I dial into skype meetings. The skype system does not recognize the dial tones when I try to enter my meeting number. Any idea to fix this? Is this a software issue, a hardware issue, if I get my phone replaced, will I incur the same issue? I have an Iphone 6s plus, but the problem is similar to what you're experiencing, and I have spent countless hours trying to nail down what the problem is. I even reset ALL of my settings, including my password, and still not working.

May 8, 2016 4:53 PM in response to rockcityghost

I agree this is likely the main problem here, WiFi Calling - both my wife and I (she has a 6S+ and I have a 6S) have seen that issue last year already (I I just experienced it again) when calling into conference calls or activating credit cards and WiFi Calling is ON. The trouble stops after turning it off.

We're both with T-Mobile, but I'm not sure whether the issue is with iOS or TMO - Apple, any response?? This is a pretty substantial issue in my opinion as there are loads of scenarios where reliable touch tone is necessary.

DTMF Touch Tones not working iPhone 6 plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.