Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting the screen resolution on a headless Mini.

I use a Mac Mini as a music server, no screen, mouse or keyboard, using Remote Desktop. With Display Menu I was able to set the screen resolution at 2560x1440. Having upgraded to Yosemite and the latest version of Display Menu this is no longer possible. DM offers a range of resolutions for Retina screens but not the larger VGA screens. One of the features of Display Menu is the facility to use Applescript to control certain functions but I do not know how to tell the Mini that 2560x1440 is an option. Can anyone help?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), printer, scanner, ATVs, external hard drives, USB DAC

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 3:31 PM

6 replies

Oct 22, 2014 2:41 AM in response to zanyjudy

zanyjudy wrote:

Unfortunately the Fit-Headless only goes up to 1920x1080 resolution which I have already got. I want to be able to set the resolution to 2560x1440. I believe it can probably be done via Applescript but I do not know how.

Not true.

The original and still available and cheaper model only goes up to 1920x1080 but they now also have a 4K capable model which does all the way up to 4088x2034. See http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-headless-4k-overview/

There is also a free download of a menulet which lets you select the supported resolutions like Apple's old Display menulet did. See https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/display-menu/id549083868?mt=12

Standard '4K' resolution of 3840x2160 is supported and so is your desired 2560x1440.

Oct 22, 2014 4:22 AM in response to zanyjudy

zanyjudy wrote:

Many thanks, I missed the 4K version when I went to the website. I have Display Menu but it only goes up to 1920x1080 on the Mini. Have ordered the Fit-Headless 4K from Amazon.

Ah, just realised one possible issue but there is a solution. The now old model Mac mini has a HDMI port that only goes up to a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 pixels. The new i.e. just launched Mac mini does have a HDMI port that goes all the way up to 4K resolution.

This means that the old Mac mini even with the 4K headless adapter will - via the HDMI port be still limited to 1920x1200 maximum. There is as I mentioned a workaround. If you use a Mini Displayport to Dual Link DVI adapter and then a DVI to HDMI adapter and then plug the Fit-Headless 4K in to that I believe that should work. It is not clear but another cheaper possibility would be to use a Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter, originally these only did up to 1920x1080 but there are now 4K models available, however I have seen comments suggesting that you need Thunderbolt 2 model Macs to get the higher resolution to work which would mean it would not work on the older Mac mini. Have a look at http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B086B-003B-2-UltraAV-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B00DOZH LAA

Obviously if you have the brand new Mac mini this problem does not apply and you can use just the Fit-Headless 4K.

Oct 22, 2014 6:29 AM in response to John Lockwood

Thanks for all the information.

You will see my original post says that I did have the 2560x1440 resolution on the Mini which was selected from Display Menu. Since installing Yosemite that no longer shows. With Mavericks Display Menu showed 2560x1440 as one of the choices, when selected the screen went black, I then sent a Unix command "killall ScreenharingAgent" from Remote Desktop (re-selected 2560x1440) and a 2560x1440 screen appeared. I therefore assume that the 2560x1440 resolution can be displayed as it has been before. My Mini is late 2012.

Setting the screen resolution on a headless Mini.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.