Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The top of the Safari window is too small to grab

As I have been using multiple windows on my desktop in Yosemite, It has been very difficult to grab a Safari window. It is because the top of the window with the buttons and search field leave very little space to grab . If you have all the buttons displayed, it's almost impossible to grab the window at the top. The top of the window is the only place to grab if you don't have the Status Bar showing. Horrible design. This is just another example of how Jony Ives is putting looks over function. I'm of the camp, work and fix things until you have form AND function. GOD, Apple needs someone like me...to start saying NO again at Apple! If someone knows a way around this, it would be greatly appreciated. My guess is there isn't.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 3:32 PM

4 replies

Oct 21, 2014 5:01 PM in response to Howard Johnston

Hi Howard...

I added the buttons that are not duplicates. that were already there on the right side of the address bar, and still have plenty of room on the left to move the Safari window.

If you click and drag out the bottom right corner of a Safari window, that will alllow for more free space at the top. Not sure if that will work on a MB Pro screen for you though.

Jul 31, 2015 6:30 AM in response to Howard Johnston

Howard, you are absolutely right! There used to be ample space above the URL/search box; above the icons; etc. to grab anywhere to reposition the window. Now, you end up clicking in the wrong place-- or, simply having to be really careful about where to put the mouse pointer.

Apple and Jony have lost their way on various key design elements--worst of all is the insistence in iOS Safari on being full screen and thus hiding the window tabs until you click again.

I noticed today when I was trying to hit in the sweet spot on my Mac that an odd Pull Down arrow appeared! I hadn't noticed it before. I thought, "Aha! That's it!" and was sure it would display more of the area above the controls. No, it's a window resizing control--expanding left-right, even though the arrow points down as if one were going to reveal something.

I'll join you as part of the new real-world Mac user, Steve Jobs team to redesign or, at least, fix a host of OS interface problems! 🙂

The top of the Safari window is too small to grab

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.