Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts not syncing on OS X Yosemite with iOS

I opened up my Contacts on OS X Yosemite, but the contacts from my iOS devices won't sync so it is empty on OS X Yosemite. How do I get this to work?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 3:31 PM

21 replies

Mar 20, 2017 4:08 PM in response to jys14

Hopefully, you figured this out, since this was 3 years ago. 🙂 I just had a similar, but completely different problem. In my case, it turned out that I had turned off Google in my Internet Accounts tab, under System Preferences (because I didn't want Gmail continually jamming up the Mail app in Mac).

Not all of my contacts were saved on iCloud, as I had just recently switched from Android to iPhone, so having Google off is why some of my contacts were showing up as phone numbers in Messages, on my Macbook Pro. However, what still confuses me is that contacts I entered on my iPhone, after making the switch, still didn't sync to iCloud, and subsequently to my other Mac devices.

Dec 5, 2017 10:27 PM in response to jys14

Wanted to add my solve for this problem: For you guys who use gmail, your phone is hooked on there. Change it to icloud.

So in your phone go to Settings->Contacts->Default Account-> iCloud <-- as in it will be gmail, change it to iCloud.

Hope that helps. I did not find this answer anywhere and so I wanted to share with the world

Feb 13, 2015 12:50 PM in response to jys14

I've tried everything on the link above, Get help using iCloud Contacts - Apple Support, and this section finally worked

Turn iCloud Contacts off and back on

1. Quit Contacts (or Address Book on OS X Lion).
  2. Choose Apple () > System Preferences and click iCloud.
  3. Deselect Contacts.
  4. Click Keep Contacts.
  5. Close System Preferences and wait about a minute.
  6. Open System Preferences and choose iCloud.
  7. Select Contacts.
  8. Open Contacts (or Address Book).

Apr 24, 2015 11:25 AM in response to LEP13

Apple made some changes on iCloud when they rolled out the new Photos app.

According to Apple Care, both the iOS device and the OSX device must be updated to the latest version of operating system.

Small problem: If you like to have your phone jailbroken, you will lose that ability in iOS 8.3.

So now decide: Sync your contacts or jailbreak. Pick one. Only one.

Jul 17, 2015 6:16 AM in response to jys14

I was having the same problem, and this worked for me!

Check your default Contacts account

Check whether your device is set up to show iCloud contacts:

1. Open Contacts and tap Groups in the upper-left corner.
  2. Make sure All iCloud is selected.

If you store and edit your contacts using your iCloud account instead of a third-party account, like Google or Yahoo, iCloud will automatically update your contacts. Check whether your contact is stored with iCloud:

1. Open Contacts and tap Groups in the upper-left corner.
  2. Deselect the All [account] option for any third-party account, like Gmail or Yahoo.
  3. Make sure All iCloud is selected.
  4. Tap Done to see your list of Contacts. If you don't see the contact you're looking for, it's stored in another account.
  5. You can import the contact from a third-party service into iCloud.

If your device uses multiple accounts like iCloud, Gmail, and Yahoo, make sure that iCloud is your default Contacts account:

1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  2. In the Contacts section, tap Default Account.
  3. Make sure iCloud is selected.

Contacts not syncing on OS X Yosemite with iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.