Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyway to upload iPhoto pics to iCloud Photo Library Beta

Anyone find a good way to upload old pictures from iPhoto library on the Mac to the new iCloud Photo Library? Only way I was able to copy photos was to use the iOS Dropbox app to save one photo at a time to the cloud. That would take forever. Sounds like Apple may put a "Upload" button on iCloud.com at some point according to the help. Just wondering if anyone found a way to upload photos besides Dropbox. Maybe the new Photos app for the Mac that comes out next year will fill this void.

PS: I found an iOS app called "Documents 5" that will browse your iCloud drive and open PDFs and TXT docs. One of the features missing from iOS 8.1 in my opinion.

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 7:53 PM

12 replies

Oct 22, 2014 7:17 AM in response to Parsifalz

You're likely not getting the full resolution upload by doing this as photostreaming is classed as sharing thereby the long edge will always be 2048. There is an app you can get called PhotoSync that web-wervers photos to your phone 'camera roll' thereby uploading to the new photo library from your PC.

From the apple site:

"iCloud Photo Sharing supports JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and most RAW photo formats. When shared, photos taken with standard point-and-shoot cameras, SLR cameras, or iOS devices will have up to 2048 pixels on the long edge.

Oct 22, 2014 11:13 AM in response to markkcurtis

markkcurtis wrote:

You're likely not getting the full resolution upload by doing this as photostreaming is classed as sharing thereby the long edge will always be 2048. There is an app you can get called PhotoSync that web-wervers photos to your phone 'camera roll' thereby uploading to the new photo library from your PC.

From the apple site:

"iCloud Photo Sharing supports JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and most RAW photo formats. When shared, photos taken with standard point-and-shoot cameras, SLR cameras, or iOS devices will have up to 2048 pixels on the long edge.

This. Photostream does work full res if you go from iOS to iPhoto on OSX, but not the other way around.

PhotoSync is a possibility. Does it keep the date/time correct when importing, or does it make them be the date you made the move?

I also found an app called Rollit that allows you to copy photos to it directly the app your computer by importing them through the iTunes Files Sharing in the App section. Once they are on your device in Rollit, you can open Rollit on your iOs device and have them placed into your camera roll, keeping the metadata intact.

One thing I found with Rollit (and likely anything else like it, including PhotoSync) - if you are placing photos from your computer to the camera roll on your phone, your phone will create a new sequential filename, instead of using the name of the incoming photo. May not be an issue, but may prevent accurate duplicate detection later on, if you end up with these renamed photos in the same space as the ones you have on your computer.

Oct 26, 2014 3:30 AM in response to Gidtar

Folks, seems a lot of people are confused and thinks that iCloud Photos and iCloud Photo Library (Beta) are one and the same thing. They're not!

• iCloud Photos is a very old feature going back years. It does not eat up your iCloud storage quota but photos get downsized.
  • iCloud Photo Library (Beta) is a new feature that came with iOS8. This one will upload the full resolution, even those from DSLR, but eats up your iCloud storage quota.

iCloud Photo Library beta FAQ

Now that I got this out of my system, here's something that's puzzling me; on the iCloud Photo Library (Beta) help page, there's instruction on how to upload. But when I go to the Photos app on iCloud.com, I don't see such option. I'm a Windows user with Chrome browser. Those on Safari, can you test and see if it's the same? I'm guessing this is an upcoming feature.

User uploaded file

Oct 26, 2014 8:34 AM in response to KANDAQ

KANDAQ, I am definitely referring to iCloud Photo Library (Beta). That is why I started this thread, there is no native way to upload pictures to the cloud just yet (even though the help refers to an "upload" button.

If you look up above Scott Dye suggested the iOS app called "Rollit". That app works perfect for getting photos on your computer directly in your iCloud Photo Library (Beta). It has a great tutorial but all you do is install the Rollit app and then plug your phone into your computer. It will copy full resolution photos into your library. It will appears as if you took the picture on your iPhone with the correct dates as well. Currently using this app to upload all my pics into the cloud.

Only thing I ran into was scanned photos I didn't take with a digital camera. The time stamps were not correct so those scanned photos would show as taken today. Before I upload my pics to the cloud I use a Mac application called "Photo Redate" that allows me to set the correct date on scanned in photos. This way photo appear in the correct order on phone and iCloud.com.

Hope this helps. I am guessing Apple will facilitate photo uploading to the cloud at some point but I just don't want to wait around.

Oct 26, 2014 9:18 AM in response to Gidtar

All I did was create an event in iPhoto with all of the pictures I wanted uploaded to my iCloud Photo Library then exported them to a folder on my desktop. From there I used Airdrop to transfer them to my iPad which then uploaded them to iCloud Photo Library.

It was a little tedious in that you can only Airdrop a certain amount of files at a time (I'm guessing around 100?), but it worked!

Oct 26, 2014 9:38 AM in response to antonio0279

I'm bouncing around here and there seeking answers to different questions and then I come to needing the answer to I hadn't asked previously, and I remember seeing something about it somewhere, so then have to go back thru everything thing I've plodded thru, etc etc.

Anyway, I recall seeing something (I think in a CNET article about iCloud Photo Library) about a Photos app for Mac OS coming out sometime in 2015 to compliment the photos app in iOS. THAT may explain the reference to uploading to iCloud PL from a Desktop. No help for Windows, it would seem, but time will tell.

Oh, and the suggestion for using Airdrop to transfer to the iPad sounds like a great plan despite being a little tedious -- unless one has a pre-2012 iMac and/or a pre iPad 4 iPad (*raises hand). Not a big deal to me, since I don't plan on using iC-PL for permanent storage (gotta save money for that new Air 2 and MBPro so I have Airdrop), but it is the ONLY way I have of getting photos off my iDevices onto my Mac since Apple took away the iTunes pipe.

okay, /whineoff

Oct 26, 2014 10:41 AM in response to Clyde Crocker

I used an SD card, iPad, and camera connection kit to get photos into my iCloud photo library.

I have had my iPhone for several years now, and have 'cleaned up' the photos on the camera roll, so older ones are no longer on the iPhone.

I took those 'cleaned up' photos and stuck them onto and SD card, into a /DCIM/100ABCDE folder, and used iPad camera import kit and imported those photos into my iPad and they are now synced to iCloud photo library, after a while to upload.

I would hope Apple will add a way to import photos, maybe when they have their new OSX Photos app? or a bulk upload from www.icloud.com,

Oct 27, 2014 8:44 AM in response to Gidtar

Apologies Gidtar. I just realized that whoever's post I click reply to, it'll state that I'm replying to that person. My statement was a general one meant for all those who doesn't know the difference and keeps giving advise based on iCloud Photos. Not just here, but other threads and forums as well. It really drives my blood pressure up! 😝

I see Rollit to be quite a good alternative method to side load photos to iCloud Photo Library through our iOS devices. But unfortunately it still does not meet one important requirement of mine; in Settings -> Photos & Camera, I selected Optimize iPad Storage option. With this selected, following criteria applies:

1) Full resolution photos on iCloud, but not on iOS device, will be downloaded at lower resolution to save local storage space.

2) High resolution photos already on iOS device will upload to iCloud, but local copy remains high resolution.

The only way to solve this is to upload directly to iCloud Photo Library from Mac/PC, but unfortunately this option is not yet available either in iCloud.com, or the upcoming Photos app for Mac.

I plan to put 18GB worth of photos to iCloud, while all the while keeping storage usage on iPad at a low. I haven't subscribed to the 99c 20GB iCloud expansion yet, so if Apple want my money, they better be quick to enable the Upload option. 😢 I might even wanna expand to 200GB if my photos goes beyond 20GB (25GB?).

Anyway to upload iPhoto pics to iCloud Photo Library Beta

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.