Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to play music with "Music" cellular data turned off

I have iTunes Match and before I upgraded to iOS 8 I was able to turn off the cellular data for the Music app and it would gray out the songs that are not already downloaded onto my iPhone 5S. Since those songs were greyed out I would be able to listen to all of my music that was stored on my iPhone without any issues or delay.

Ever since I upgraded to iOS 8 when I turn off the cellular data for the Music app the songs that are not stored on my iPhone will not be greyed out. Then when I play my music (I mostly play my music on random) it will try to play songs that are not stored on my device. It looks like it is trying to download the song but obviously it can't when I'm not on WiFi when the cellular data is turned off for the Music app. Sometimes it will just keep skipping each track till it find a song that is stored on the iPhone but sometimes it will just hang on one song since it is trying to download it or it will just completely stop playing my music all together as if I had stopped or quit the music app.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue so I can play my music with the cellular data off like I did before upgrading to iOS 8?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 8:03 PM

12 replies

Oct 23, 2014 10:02 AM in response to Tmoney359

Not seeing that at all. In fact, I usually have Music turned off in the cellular settings, as I do now, and it plays downloaded tracks with no problem.

Try a reset: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps BEFORE doing the reset.

Oct 31, 2014 2:17 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Using iTunes I restored my iPhone and set it up as a new device. Once that was finished, within iTunes I selected "File > Devices > Restore from Back up" and selected the latest backup. After the restore from backup finished I then turned off my Wifi to try to recreate the issue I have been experiencing and the issue still exists. I wonder if because, I am selecting restore from backup it's bringing back the issue even after I have set it up as a new device.

If there is something that I am missing please let me know. Thanks again for your help James.

Nov 1, 2014 2:59 AM in response to Tmoney359

When you restore the phone from a backup that is not setting it up as a new device. What you need to do after you restore it to "factory" is to then sync all the apps/music/photos from iTunes. You also need to make sure any important photos that are on the iOS device are are also backed up in iPhoto/Aperture before you restore to "factory." Otherwise they will only exist in the iPhone backup and cannot then be accessed.

Aug 13, 2016 5:44 PM in response to Tmoney359

New "feature" of iTunes. I say it *****. When you download that music to your iPad iTunes doesn't have access to it yet. While connected to wifi you have to open each album individually the is a ... Tab on the album screen select it. Now it will play even with wifi off, somehow it adds it to iTunes only after this action to save memory, but it doesn't the songs are already on the devise, it just causes in convince

Trying to play music with "Music" cellular data turned off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.