Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicklook freezes finder and others problems

I have already fixed my problem, I just write it here in case somebody else encounters the same problems.

I have installed Yosemite a couple of days ago. Yesterday I started having a lot of problems:

- Adobe CS applications didn't start anymore

- icons on the desktop weren't replaced by previews

- icons in the dock spring folders appeared as an empty square with dashed border

- asking for a quicklook on an file resulted in wheel of death and Finder inusable

- apache on MAMP didn't started anymore

I've searched a lot on the internet for all these problems finding several solutions that, of course, didn't apply. Adobe suggested to reinstall the suite, but Installer did give an error. Quicklook problem have a couple of solutions that didn't apply either.

Analyzing log I have found out that the Apple launch demon appeared having problems creating a temp directory in /tmp. So I opened Terminal to see what's the matter with /tmp folder, and I noticed that /tmp wasn't there anymore. To be precise, /tmp was there, but temp is an alias of /private/tmp, and /private/tmp wasn't there.

So I put it back:

sudo mkdir /private/tmp

followed by

sudo chmod 0777 /private/tmp

All my problems magically disappeared.

I still don't know who caused this damage removing /private/tmp, surely wasn't me, anyway problem solved. I hope this could be helpful if anyone got the same problem.

S*

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 11:40 PM

2 replies

Quicklook freezes finder and others problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.