Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0 - Not working

I did defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1 before to install Yosemite to make a complete clone backup and after installing Yosemite I can't put back them hidden!

Someone have an idea?

Marc

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 12:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 1:47 AM

To show your hidden files.

Launch ( Terminal ) > Paste in the following ( defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true ; killall Finder ) > Press Return.

To reverse your hidden files back to hidden.

Launch ( Terminal ) > Paste in the following ( defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean false ; killall Finder ) > Press Return.

Supporting Articles

http://ianlunn.co.uk/articles/quickly-showhide-hidden-files-mac-os-x-mavericks/

Hope that helps,

Weston

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2014 1:47 AM in response to TheBuzzer

To show your hidden files.

Launch ( Terminal ) > Paste in the following ( defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true ; killall Finder ) > Press Return.

To reverse your hidden files back to hidden.

Launch ( Terminal ) > Paste in the following ( defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean false ; killall Finder ) > Press Return.

Supporting Articles

http://ianlunn.co.uk/articles/quickly-showhide-hidden-files-mac-os-x-mavericks/

Hope that helps,

Weston

Oct 28, 2014 5:23 AM in response to TheBuzzer

TheBuzzer,

You could try temporarily placing your Finder plist on the desktop to see if maybe your finders preference file has gone bad. Remember this will reset all the preferences you've set in the Finder app and you will have to reset those if it works. If it doesn't you can move your Finder plist back and it will put everything back how it was. To do this go to:

Macintosh HD > Users > Your User > Library ( It's a Hidden Folder ) > Preferences > Move " com.apple.finder.plist " to the desktop > Restart your computer > Did it fix your problem with the folders not being Hidden? > Delete " com.apple.finder.plist " ( If Yes ) > Put back " com.apple.finder.plist " and restart ( If No ).

** Hint To quickly get to your Users Library folder. ** Whilst in Finder press and hold the ( Option ) key and select ( Go > Library ) from the menu bar.

Hope that helps,

Weston

Jan 6, 2015 10:52 PM in response to westongallagher

Hey it works!

Thanks so much for your time westongallagher and for the nice clean directions.

I had done all the Terminal stuff with an Apple support guy, but it failed later and I could never get it to go right.

Used your method above and it worked first time.

Nothing wrong with Terminal method and good to know.

But it looks like I had corruption and you fixed that.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0 - Not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.