Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to OS8.1 and Yosemite but cannot delete photos from iPad. Unchecked albums and events and synced but nothing removed from iPad.

Trying to free up space on my iPad I tried to remove photos. All photos were transferred via iMac/ituens initially. After going to iTunes and unchecking albums and events, I applied and synced but the photos are still on my iPad. Any suggestions please.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10), iPad HD OS 8.1

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 2:51 AM

7 replies

Oct 22, 2014 3:12 AM in response to PhilBr

Then the photos you are still being may have been copied to your camera roll after editing, or are in one of your Photo Streams.

If the photos really are still synced photos, you can delete them by enabling temporarily "iCloud Photo Library Beta" in Settings > Photos & Camera. That will erase all synced Photos.

Have you migrated an iPhoto Library or already enabled "iCloud Photo Library Beta"? Then the photos you are seeing may be from a different source and you need to trash them directly from the Moments view.

Oct 23, 2014 7:07 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this and immediately got a message saying that it was 'uploading 104 photos' (the number on the iPad). A progress bar appeared which moved to about 10 % and has not changed. No photos have been deleted. It could be that I am doing something wrong or could it be that the photos were originally in iPhoto on my iPad which no longer exists after upgrading to OS 8? Any help is appreciated.

Oct 23, 2014 7:19 AM in response to PhilBr

I tried this and immediately got a message saying that it was 'uploading 104 photos' (the number on the iPad). A progress bar appeared which moved to about 10 % and has not changed.

If iTunes is trying to upload 104 photos, then the albums or events are not deselected in iTunes. Have you checked all checkmarks in the list of synced items, if still an album or event, Faces or Places are selected? Or your iPhoto library may have an iPod Photo cache folder that has a corruption. Then it would help to remove the cache from your iPhoto Library. See this help text: iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

could it be that the photos were originally in iPhoto on my iPad which no longer exists after upgrading to OS 8

iPhoto on your iPad has only been showing you photos that are stored elsewhere. It has referenced the photos in other apps and only stored albums with edited copies.

Have you migrated your iPhoto Library to the Photos.app? Migrating from iPhoto for iOS to Photos on iOS 8

Then you should be able to delete all photos in Photos, that have been migrated to Photos.

Oct 23, 2014 7:43 AM in response to léonie

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Just to clarify, it is the iPad that states that it is uploading the photos not iTunes! I definitely unchecked all the albums and events in iTunes so I don't think that can be the issue. When I upgraded to OS 8 I was told that the photos were being migrated so I guess that is also not the problem. I'll have a go at deleting the iPhoto Cache folder although I must say I am a bit wary that this may cause further issues. I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Updated to OS8.1 and Yosemite but cannot delete photos from iPad. Unchecked albums and events and synced but nothing removed from iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.