Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB sharing in Yosemite Server

Before I upgrade to Yosemite Server (from 3.2.2) I was wondering what are people's experiences with SMB file sharing in Yosemite Server, I see some changes had been made, is it working anywhere near reliably yet - in terms of file sharing between Macs and PCs? (like Snow Leopard Server used to)

Thanks,

Mac mini, OS X Server, OSX Server 3.22 on 10.9.5 Mavericks

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 4:35 AM

14 replies

Oct 23, 2014 4:25 AM in response to Side_Step_Society

Could you try (a) turn samba off and on again in sharing or see if that helps, or (b) borrowing a possible workaround from http://www.jimmah.com/vista/net/ntlm.aspx , change the local security policy on your PC.

1. Click Start
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click System and Maintenance
  4. Click Administrative Tools
  5. Double-Click Local Security Policy
  6. In the left pane, click the triangle next to Local Policy
  7. In the left pane, click Security Options
  8. In the right pane near the bottom, double-click "Network security: LAN manager authentication level"
  9. Click the drop-down box, and click "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"
  10. Click OK

Personally, I have had the PCs on my network connecting with Samba via Macports since OSX 10.8, and thats worked fine but not user friendly for anyone unfamiliar with Terminal.

Oct 25, 2014 7:59 PM in response to flur

On your windows machine(s) effected, check the following registry key;

Key "LmCompatibilityLevel" located in directory HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa, you will find

this is already set to "1", change that from "1" to "3". It doesn't require a reboot and takes effect immediately.

This fixed the issue on all of my windows 7 and 8 machines.

Nov 21, 2014 7:12 AM in response to rebelscum75

Thanks for your replies, to update my original post I installed Server 4 on a clean install of Yosemite, and have to admit file sharing in afp and smb has been working nicely for about a month, its not worked this well since I was forced to migrate from Snow Leopard Server.

There was one PC running Vista which encountered various errors copying to, or saving to the server. Tried all or most of the various 'fixes' on this and other forums with no luck. Ultimately the only thing that fixed it for me was upgrading to Windows 7. Now all fine.

Dec 7, 2014 3:29 PM in response to rebelscum75

I have not been able to find an error free setting for Yosemite from among the five available in Win7 Ultimate regardless of whether smb2/3 is disabled or not on Win7. I appear to be sharing without problems under Mavericks with Win7 LmCompatibility set for "send NTLMv2 response - refuse LM and NTLM" (this appears to be equivalent to level 5 setting in your key) and smb2/3 disabled on Win7. I have achieved limited sharing from Yosemite to Win7 in that I can stream audio/video to Win7 but can't simultaneously record video back to the Yosemite share; I also get some write errors as well. So are you getting simultaneous read/write performance with Yosemite sharing to Win7?

Jan 17, 2015 9:35 PM in response to rebelscum75

I had two servers where SMB completely broke on me once I updated to Yosemite. I had a scanner that could no longer connect, and I had one Windows user that was unable to connect.

My friend Charles had me log into terminal and type the following, which fixed the issue on both servers:

sudo server admin settings smb:ntlm auth = "yes"

sudo serveradmin settings smb:lanman auth = “yes”

Here is his whole post on the issue:

http://krypted.com/windows-server/yosemite-server-smb-and-windows/

SMB sharing in Yosemite Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.