Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 8.0 doesn't recognize the first letter in forms

Safari 8.0 constantly misses the first letter when typing messages on Twitter/Facebook or Search box on Amazon.

For example, when I want type "Hello" only "ello" comes out, then I have to go back and fill in "H".

i've never had this problem until Yosemite upgrade.

anyone else is having the same problem?

Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Mid 2013 i5 4GB

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 6:21 AM

26 replies

Oct 22, 2014 6:34 AM in response to lemonadecandy

Hi ..

Might be a cookies, cache, or extensions, issue.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that doesn't help, troubleshoot Safari extensions.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

Oct 22, 2014 7:07 AM in response to lemonadecandy

Hi..

I wouldn't wait for an update to fix one minor issue. Might be a problem with Safari preferences.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.Safari.plist file to the trash.

Oct 22, 2014 7:36 AM in response to lemonadecandy

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Autofill tab then click Edit to the right of: Other forms

If any websites are listed, click Remove All then click Done

If that didn't help, a Safe Mode boot deletes some system caches that may help.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, click the Apple top left in your screen. From the drop down menu click: Restart

Then try Safari again.

About Safe Mode

Oct 26, 2014 12:15 PM in response to lemonadecandy

I have the exact same issue easily duplicable on both a 2010 Macbook Air and a 2014 Retina Macbook Pro 15". None of the approaches posted here resolves the issue, and it is true that it makes a difference how the webform field is entered. A "hard click" avoids the issue, but a "tap click" to enter the field causes the first typed character to fail to appear reliably every time. Other Safari 8.0 users may help identify the problem by going to the site "toogle" which has a single webform field at the top of the page. "Tap click" into the field and notice that no matter how much time you give the cursor to 'get used to' being there, the first character will not register. Thereafter the subsequently pressed keys will register.

If, instead, the trackpad is "hard clicked" to activate the field, the first character typed will register.

Curious to see if others can duplicate this behavior or whether it's specific to the 2010 Macbook Air and 2014 Retina Macbook Pro 15" that I have?

Thx!

Oct 28, 2014 11:25 AM in response to lemonadecandy

I have this exact same problem and it's driving me crazy. For most pages it seems like it's to do with the amount of time you allow before starting to type.

I use the single-tap (not click) gesture to select form fields. It seems like that induces a tiny amount of lag that causes the first character to be typed wherever the focus was before. e.g. if I find a page with multiple boxes, I can reliably click between them, leaving my first character in the previously focused box.

If I use the click on the trackpad, this doesn't seem to happen, as reported by others. Similarly, if I attach a USB mouse, I don't have the issue and can type as quickly as I like after focussing a text box.

It's not just a problem with Safari, in fact. I have the same issue in e.g. Mail when I start typing "too quickly" after giving focus to the search box. It makes the Mac feel terribly sluggish, even though it's basically the top-of-the-line model. Extremely frustrating.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite 10.10

Oct 28, 2014 5:41 PM in response to Nicholas W

Nicholas W,

Thank you for replying

This weird behavior really is driving me crazy, because I am so used to tap clicking.

I also have noticed some other problems that you have brought up; my Macbook Air (mid 2013) also feels sluggish when I'm using Safari and Mail. My friend bought a brand new Macbook Air a few days ago, he is also having the same tap-click issue, so I guess we are not alone. I just hope that Apple will fix this problem as soon as possible.

Nov 8, 2014 7:04 AM in response to James Harris9

Yes, I have the same problem with Yosemite and Safari 8. Particularly when using Amazon's website, a single tap on the input field results in the first character being dropped, whereas a physical click does not have this problem. It's not all websites, at the moment it's Amazon that I most notice, but eBay for example, works without issue. So it would seem to be an issue involving Safari, trackpad single tap and some aspect of how certain webpages are setup.

This problem has come and gone for the last 3 years of OS X releases, it was fixed for a long time in Mavericks (for me), but has returned with Yosemite. I've seen it on other Macs as well.

The work around I have at the moment is to double tap the text input field - then the first character is recognized.

Dec 22, 2014 6:36 AM in response to neilpride

Drives me crazy. I thought it was just a failing keyboard. As soon as I went to Yosemite, it began. However, unlike others who mentioned it primarily happens on Amazon.com, I find that it happens on most fillable forms, from name and addresses to credit cards. Always, without fail, the first character is missing until I hit it again. It is a simple fix but very frustrating when you are thinking fast and need to type fast and now you have to go back and fix each entry because of a silly bug.

I can't seem to reproduce it now but I could have sworn that this problem had happened in other applications too. Please Apple, work on a fix for this.

Mike

Safari 8.0 doesn't recognize the first letter in forms

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.