Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An Error Occured while extracting files from the package "essentials.pkg".

I was upgrading to Yosemite today, and the installer gets to 19 minutes left and it stops with the message in the title, "An Error Occured while extracting files from the package "essentials.pkg". I have tried reinstalling it but it keeps getting the same error. How do I work through this error?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 16GB Corsair 1333 Mhz SODIMM RAM

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 7:12 AM

I've got the same problem, and I tries this one:

Turn off the laptop

Turn on again and press COMMAND + OPTION + P + R till the other restart. (you'll listen the sound of restart)

Then go ahead the installation, it works for me!

2 replies

Nov 1, 2014 10:03 AM in response to zayers35

OK, so, I had this issue too.

By the way, I have a late 2012 Mac mini, 2.3 i7, 1TB, 16GB RAM (I installed the RAM)

I waiting hours for the initial download, then I started installation. Upon my return to check on the process, I received the error: ‘An error occurred while extracting files from the package "Essentials.pkg”.’ At this point I tried downloding/reinstalling several times, as well as making a usb boot installer drive. I called Apple a few time speaking with top tier support, only for them to make the same recommendations, for me to go through the same motions I have already tried.

After all of that, I finally reverted back to Mavericks.

So, now, I was thinking about my Mac, and the issue that I had when I bought it. The Mac would crash all the time. I figured out that the memory upgrade that I bought might be defective, and it was, so I replaced it and It’s been fine. Although, it has crashed a few times recently. So, I decided to give the Yosemite install another shot, but this time with only the 8GB memory that came with the Mac mini.

Success!!!!

Hopefully this works for others as well!

An Error Occured while extracting files from the package "essentials.pkg".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.