Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sound on iPhoto or Quick Time

I have moved to OS Yosemite and the following issue has occurred. My video clips on iPhoto run fine , but there is no sound with the video or ant volume slider on the video. I have used going back to Finder and playing the video back on Quick time, but the same issue exists i.e. the video plays fine, but no volume. I have also played the original file via Real Player and that plays fine with both the video, sound and the volume slider?

My camera is an Olympus SZ-31MR.

I would dearly like to play the clips via IPhoto please

iPhoto '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 8:15 AM

Hello there,

I am having the same issue with videos on my iphoto but i was able to isolate to only videos captured using iphone 4. The ones I captured using iphone 5s as well as the ones i captured using my Cannon SLR work just fine. Video is there, but no audio what so ever. I recovered a backup file which I know at the time had no issues but the issue still persists. I have read here it might be with Quicktime version i am using. Has anyone experienced the same? Any solution?

These 4 videos i am having issues have tremendous sentimental value so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rodrigo

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2014 8:15 AM in response to dougal12

Hello there,

I am having the same issue with videos on my iphoto but i was able to isolate to only videos captured using iphone 4. The ones I captured using iphone 5s as well as the ones i captured using my Cannon SLR work just fine. Video is there, but no audio what so ever. I recovered a backup file which I know at the time had no issues but the issue still persists. I have read here it might be with Quicktime version i am using. Has anyone experienced the same? Any solution?

These 4 videos i am having issues have tremendous sentimental value so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rodrigo

Nov 8, 2014 4:49 AM in response to Rms1976

I also have an Olympus SZ-31. Here's what's happening:

When I shoot videos and then take the SD card out of the camera and put it in my Mac, (videos are .MOV files) I can't get it to play. A message comes up on the computer saying Quick Time can't play the file and it may be damaged. JPEG pics come up fine. The videos play fine in the camera and also fine when I connect an HDMI cable to the camera and play them on a TV.

I have tried this on 2 different Macs - both have Mavericks - so it's not the computer. I have also tried 2 different SD cards and got the same result. I even tried reformatting the SD card and no change.

I can get the videos to play with Quick View or iMovie but in both cases the audio is missing.

I also checked the Olympus website to see if there was a firmware update and there isn't.

All of my other cameras, Canon, etc, work fine. I take out the SD card and put it in the computer, click on the video file I want to view and no problem. Quick Time opens the files and they play flawlessly.

I then tried an app I have called Smart Converter and it fixed the problem, but if I have to go through some kind of conversion process every time, that's ridiculous, plus you may lose image or audio quality in the conversion process. If I'm with a friend and want to give them the video, that doesn't work either. I should be able to just pop the SD card out of the camera, stick it in their Mac or even PC, load the file onto their computer and they have the video.

What's the problem? Thanks!

Nov 8, 2014 10:51 AM in response to dougal12

I have moved to OS Yosemite and the following issue has occurred. My video clips on iPhoto run fine , but there is no sound with the video or ant volume slider on the video. I have used going back to Finder and playing the video back on Quick time, but the same issue exists i.e. the video plays fine, but no volume. I have also played the original file via Real Player and that plays fine with both the video, sound and the volume slider?

My camera is an Olympus SZ-31MR.

I would dearly like to play the clips via IPhoto please

Is the audio compression format used by your Olympus SZ-31MR supported natively by iPhoto under Yosemite?

User uploaded file

Nov 8, 2014 10:58 AM in response to Rms1976

Have you tried playing the files using an alternative player or copying the data to a new file container in the event that the old iPhone 4 files are triggering a security update issue?

User uploaded file

Nov 8, 2014 11:07 AM in response to Docevil

I have tried this on 2 different Macs - both have Mavericks - so it's not the computer. I have also tried 2 different SD cards and got the same result. I even tried reformatting the SD card and no change.

Are you sure the audio compression formats are supported? Mavericks and Yosemite employ a new embedded support structure that is programmed to handle specific compression formats in specific file containers.

User uploaded file

Nov 14, 2014 10:36 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks Paul

I did, I even uploaded the file to dropbox and used their web based player on a PC. Unfortunately I cannot access the source anymore. Even if I restore from an old iphoto backup, once I open the library, iphoto converts the library to the new Maverick supported version. As I said, the only video I have issues is the ones captured with the iphone 4, but I dont know if quicktime is having issues with iphone 4 videos or if iphone 4 videos are getting some how corrupted when the iphoto library gets upgraded to the latest version.

Nov 14, 2014 10:55 AM in response to Rms1976

I did, I even uploaded the file to dropbox and used their web based player on a PC. Unfortunately I cannot access the source anymore. Even if I restore from an old iphoto backup, once I open the library, iphoto converts the library to the new Maverick supported version. As I said, the only video I have issues is the ones captured with the iphone 4, but I dont know if quicktime is having issues with iphone 4 videos or if iphone 4 videos are getting some how corrupted when the iphoto library gets upgraded to the latest version.

If the files play in third-party players, then the problem is more likely to be a "security" issue. If the files won't play in any media player, then the issue is more likely to be a "corruption" problem either in the data itself or the container holding the data.

User uploaded file

May 3, 2015 2:21 AM in response to civil engineering

Also movs created from iphone 5s play ok with sound.

so it must be something regarding Yosemite and SZ-31MR, securiy issue or incompatible sound format...

Either of them I can't think of something we are able to do to make it work.

Olympus can't correct it since it should update it's format for Yosemite....

I hope it's security issue and some day is solved...

Bad luck for us !!!

No Sound on iPhoto or Quick Time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.