Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 Bluetooth with MacBook Pro

Why won't my iPhone 5S will not connect via bluetooth to my MacBook Pro?

I downloaded OS X Yosemite to the MBP and iOS 8.1 to the iPhone 5S.

Can somebody give me suggestions how how to correct this please ?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 7:47 AM

29 replies

Jan 23, 2017 6:14 PM in response to razmee209

"you can't connect two apple devices via Bluetooth unless your using hotspot." is a bit strange!!

I have a MBP 2012 Sierra and an IPhone 5C OS 10+ and can't connect those two Apple machines using bluetooth?!? Helloooo?

Handsoff doesn't work either.

I don't seem to understand those updates and upgrades, while bt is so simple to keep being used by every machines..

Oct 22, 2014 8:07 AM in response to razmee209

razmee209, i don't get you. He's telling us that his iPhone and his MBP doesn't pair, he never spoked about continuity and using handsoff features.

BTW, since i've updated my mbp and my iphone 5S i'm not able to pair them anymore. i'm speaking about just pairing the devices for example to hotspot internet connection of the phone, so nothig to do with continuity features

Oct 22, 2014 8:37 AM in response to bazini11

bazini11 wrote:

Ok I have a early 2011 MBP that I just updated to Yosemite and a iPhone 5s that I updated to iOS 8.1.

I want to take advantage of the new features such AS Make and receive phone calls and SMS Texting.

So can I do that with my current MBP ?

Because my MBP is early 2011 I can not connect via Bluetooth ?

I provided you a link re: your issue.

When click on the link

you see this

System Requirements

Handoff and Instant Hotspot

Handoff and Instant Hotspot are supported by the following Mac models, and require OS X Yosemite:

• MacBook Air (Mid 2012 and later)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 and later)
  • iMac (Late 2012 and later)
  • Mac mini (Late 2012 and later)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Since your MBP is 2011 you won't be able to use continuity.

Again the link I posted provided ALL the answers you needed.

Have you not looked at the link?

Oct 22, 2014 8:55 AM in response to razmee209

The link is obviously WRONG!

My Macbook PRO is Late 2008, with Yosemite and i'm currently able to sms and send/receive phone calls since the beginning.

What i actually can't do is Instant Hotspot, but the other 2 features are perfectly working

Which iphone model do you have bazini11 ?

EDIT: sorry, i've seen now, iphone 5S, same as mine, so YES the phone calls and text messaging MUST work on your model of Macbook PRO

Oct 22, 2014 8:56 AM in response to Benna

Benna wrote:

The link is obviously WRONG!

My Macbook PRO is Late 2008, with Yosemite and i'm currently able to sms and send/receive phone calls since the beginning.

What i actually can't do is Instant Hotspot, but the other 2 features are perfectly working

Which iphone model do you have bazini11 ?

EDIT: sorry, i've seen now, iphone 5S, same as mine, so YES the phone calls and text messaging MUST work on your model of Macbook PRO

Go start your own thread instead of hijacking this one. I already provided you with two links.

How can a KB article by Apple be wrong.

iPhone 5 Bluetooth with MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.