Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain issue with network users on 10.10 clients

Hello everybody

I've got a keychain issue with network user homes connecting form 10.10 clients to a 3.2.2 server:

After upgrading some clients to 10.10, our students started to complain: They had to enter passwords again and again. It looked like the passwords wouldn't save in their keychain.

When I checked their "local items" keychain, it was empty and no new data could be saved in there.

This caused of course a lot of following issues with a lot of other apps.

So I started testing with a brand new user on a 10.10 client. These are the results:

When the user logs in, the keychain "keychain-2.db" is created in ~/Library/Keychains/893693C6-3637-5019-A594-DC4BD648101C

I think this is as it should be, this folder is for this particular client.

When the user logs out and then logs in again, this keychain has changed to "keychain-2.db-corrupt" and no data can be saved in there.

But when I restart the client and then the user logs in again, a new "keychain-2.db" has been created and the corrupt keychain is still there.

The new keychain is empty of course, but new data can be saved in there.

And then, when the user logs out and in again, the whole story starts from beginning.

First I thought, it could be because of the "after logout network home directory isn't disconnected from server" problem as it was discussed in other posts. (See also Users not disconnected from file sharing and others.) But it looks like this problem has been solved in 10.10: When a network user has logged out, there's no more AFP (or SMB) connection visible on the server.

So on the client I logged in as a local admin and checked the activity:

Although my test user had just logged out, there were still about 16 processes running under his name. One (or more) of them must have been destroying the "keychain-2.db" and blocking the creation of a new one.

With killing them one by one and a lot of testing I found the guilty one:

It's the process called "secd" that causes this keychain issue. If I kill this process before the user logs in again, his heychain-2.db won't become corrupt!

I have no idea what this process is for and why it is (and all the others processes) still there, after the user's logout.

My questions are:

Is this bug or is it a misconfiguration of my clients and/or server?

Does anybody else have the same experiences with accounts on a server 3.2.2? What about server 4.0?

Does anybody have an idea for a workaround?

Thanks a lot for helping.

Bob

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 8:49 AM

42 replies

Oct 24, 2014 2:06 PM in response to Robert Hrovat

I am able to reproduce this with a 10.10 client and a 10.9 (3.2.2) server, but so far it has been fine if it's a 10.10 client and a 10.10 (4.0) server. However, in my setup I have two servers (the ODM and the mail server) and am still seeing the problem when I introduce the mail server (whether 10.9 or 10.10) into the mix. If I host the mail accounts on my 10.10 ODM instead, 10.10 clients seem pretty happy (10.9, not so much).

Oct 29, 2014 8:53 PM in response to Robert Hrovat

Same issue here, Mavericks Server Keychain not properly storing information network users.,Mail keeps asking for password and icloud setting do not load in system preferences, same issue with iMessages, notes app, they must be all related,with Yosemite got even worst, please call apple care, I already did and have an open case, the more people that call them the sooner they will take care of this issue, only workaround is restarting clients after each user logs out.

Oct 30, 2014 10:32 AM in response to Robert Hrovat

Imperfect workaround for this issue:

EVERY time a network user logs out, the computer should be restarted before they log back in again. As Robert indicated above, the reboot removes all of the vestigial processes and, as a result, the machine is clear of the offending processes when the user logs back in. My users will be told to select RESTART in lieu of log out each time they need to log out unless they are leaving for the day and shutting down.

I spoke to an Apple Enterprise rep about this today. The rep was very apologetic for the ongoing problems. They said that there is not a solution yet but that Apple is aware and a team is "working on it." The fact that this has been going on for as long as it has is silly. The loss of productivity to the companies represented by the entries in this discussion alone must be thousands of hours due to the numbers of users impacted.

Please post alternatives to this workaround here if anyone comes up with one.

-Erich

Oct 30, 2014 10:55 AM in response to Erich Wetzel

Doesn't help for us, even with a reboot I am still seeing the issue with Home Sync and the login keychain and iCloud logins. I set all the computers to reboot at night and before I leave at the end of the day I give them all a reboot just to make sure.

In my Keychain folder the login.keychain gets properly updated on logout or idle sync. It does not seem to get updated at login sync. Same with metadata.keychain. The iCloud keychain has made 4 folders. 3 are old from when the system was first updated to 10.10. One has a keychain-2.db that is getting properly synced on logout and idle but not at login.

So this seems to be the source of my woes. The files seem to be unavailable, locked, or not properly synced during login hence the request to re-enter the password for login keychain and iCloud

Nov 5, 2014 6:44 PM in response to ndsvfx

This keeps getting comically worse. Tried 10.10.1 and still has the HomeSync login request, still has the iCloud password request twice, now adds iMessage password request twice, and FaceTime password request twice. When you file bug reports you get the same automatic response of running sysdiagnose no matter what the bug is including App Store serving up wrong updates. I can't believe Apple has not fixed this going back to 10.9.4

Nov 6, 2014 11:54 PM in response to ndsvfx

I tested the whole thing under the assumption that network users don't use iCloud and that they don't have local mobile home folders.

The iCloud issue with network users is as old as iCloud itself. A 'genius' in the Apple store told me that iCloud just hasn't been developed to be used in combination with network user accounts. So we decided in our school to block it for the network users. They can live with it so far.

As I mentioned in my original post there are about 16 processes that are still running after a network user has logged out. You can see (and kill) them if you log in as a local admin and open the Activity Monitor. By killing them one by one and trying again and again to log in as a network user you can maybe identify the responsible process that messes up iCloud.

When identified it's easy to set an additional kill command for that process in the script which is described in the mentioned post.

Keychain issue with network users on 10.10 clients

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.