Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite - Safari still does not warn when closing multiple tabs, what will it take to get Apple to add this simple option?

I cannot understand why Apple does not add the option to warn you when closing multiple tabs. There are posts all over the Internet requesting the feature or looking for a way to do it. Why do they totally ignore this valuable, simple feature?

MacBook Air, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 8:47 AM

11 replies

Oct 22, 2014 8:58 AM in response to dcssteve

Not to sound snarky, but how does one not know that they are closing multiple tabs?

Each tab instance requires its own click to close unless you use the keyboard shortcut (CMD + W).

And even then you can always restore the last closed tab using the CMD + Z shortcut.

Or, if you accidentally close Safari altogether, it has an option to restore all tabs from the last session on the next restart.

Oct 22, 2014 9:21 AM in response to ShadowDancer1000

Well, actually its easy if you are used to using the close icon (red dot) in the corner, which I am in the habit of using. If it was not happening to lots of people, there would not be so many posts on the Internet. If the warning is so useless, why would Explorer and Firefox both have this option? What does it hurt to add it? Sometimes its difficult to tell if you are in a separate Safari window or in a Tab. I am no always focused on the tabs when dong research and sometimes I have bot tabs and other windows open, Everyone does not work with the same methodology.

Nov 1, 2014 7:51 PM in response to dcssteve

I totally agree with you. That feature is useful. I accidentally click the red dot to the top right corner and I lose all my tabs. It sounds silly but some people here are bound to just take what Apple dishes out.

You can scream and no one from Apple will listen. I just realised that at times you have to use their system as it is. There seems to be some reluctance by Apple to take new ideas because the ideas or innovations seem to be viewed as unApple. But this defies logic because all other browsers have implemented the logical ideas.

You should also read the Auto Capitalisation posts.

Nov 1, 2014 8:28 PM in response to Jayprog

Thanks for the support. I guess you take one battle at at time because you hate to lose multiple battles and I picked this one. However, and this could go on quite a while, why do I have to buy another application to sort my bookmarks and have the sort sync the Cloud?. Bookmark sort - that is a programming 101 feature. Now I found that iPhoto can read AVCHD video files and Quicktime cannot. Oh my. I wish Apple would read the posts and actually take them into consideration. It would make their users feel more included. I do like Yosemite and love email markup. Good job but the customers have a few good ideas too.

At least you can Air Drop to Mac now!

May 14, 2015 5:25 PM in response to Jim_witte

(sorry, the "Edit Reply" doesn't want to work tonight)

... the last 30-100 MB downloaded from various websites (exempting video files, DMGs, and maybe PDFs)? Ten or fifteen years ago I'd have said 200-300 *kilobytes*, but that was before Amazon, Google Analytics, "Fyre", Facebook, and God-know-who-else was polluting web-pages with various Javascript, CSS-up-the-wazoo, and whatever else clutters and clogs up the web these days.

(Of course, I know that - or the information it allows companies to "extract" from what we all do in our browsing habits and such - is what probably *pays* for a lot of the internet in one way or another)

I'd think such cacheing would also save a LOT of bandwidth - at least if you multiply it by 20 or 30 million people browsing the web every day (which is probably an underestimate). And I'm sure a lot of whatever is on "bits.wikipedia.com" could be cached? At least all the rarely-changing-CSS-and-Javascript files?

I also almost never use Javascript unless I actually *need* to have it on - Wikipedia for citation tool or if I want the De-animator extension to stop a pretty but ****-ever-rotating ball-and-stick model of a protein, Facebook (for anything), Youtube if I want to see the preview pictures - but I use Firefox for that anyway because I can't find a reasonable downloader for Safari, or various journal websites that seem to require JS.

I should a FaceBook group called "JavaScript Is The New Flash" (ironically, as FB requires it).

When will someone figure out how to make "Javascript on a chip"? Literally - *down to the metal* (plus some kind of appropriate very-high-speed semi-separate memory bus required for modification of the HTML that JS usually does). It would seem that Google might like that. Don't the ChromeBooks/Android basically *run* using HTML, JS, and Java?

(Yes I know, my "hacker self-education" really stopped somewhere around 1998-2001..)

Jim

May 21, 2016 12:30 AM in response to dcssteve

I started facing this issue too. But I found no option out there on Yosemite onwards. But here is a simple alternate trick I followed.

All I wanted is - when I press Cmd+Q, I wanted the alert. It is because we are so much used to press Cmd+Q if we are shortcut addicts on Mac. So I changed the shortcut key to quit Safari.

Go to System Preference > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts > Click on + button to add new > Select "Safari" app > Set menu title as "Quit Safari" > Set keyboard shortcut to something which you don't usually press. I set it as Option+Cmd+Q.

So, now when you accidentally press Cmd+Q instead of Cmd+W, your safari will not quit.

Hope this helps 🙂

May 21, 2016 12:33 AM in response to mithrandir13

I started facing this issue too. But I found no option out there on Yosemite onwards. But here is a simple alternate trick I followed.

I changed the shortcut key to quit Safari.

Go to System Preference > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts > Click on + button to add new > Select "Safari" app > Set menu title as "Quit Safari" > Set keyboard shortcut to something which you don't usually press. I set it as Option+Cmd+Q.

So, now when you accidentally press Cmd+Q instead of Cmd+W, your safari will not quit.

Hope this helps 🙂🙂

Yosemite - Safari still does not warn when closing multiple tabs, what will it take to get Apple to add this simple option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.