Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frustrating Forced upgrade on Numbers and Pages

I LOVE working with Pages and Numbers, but am getting increasingly frustrated with Apple trying to force us to upgrade. I am not ready to upgrade my system to Yosemite, I want to wait a bit to do this after other people have done it and I know what to expect and what works. But now when I try to use with my current Pages and Numbers documents (that I have been using for years), it tells me I need to make a copy to work with the file because there is an upgrade available. In order to use my existing files, I can't just open the app and go to the file, I have to find the file and double click on it for it to open. Then when I make the necessary copy, I have to search for that as well, can't just go to my Pages app in the dock (which is open, obviously, because I am using it to edit my copied document), but appears not to be running.

This doesn't make sense! I have been using Apple for many years and have always been happy with it, but they seem to be getting increasingly controlling about updates. I need to be able to decide when to update, not be forced to by making things difficult to use. I'd be happy to update these apps except that they require a major system change that I am not ready for. No other software forces me to upgrade by not allowing me to use my current documents, I don't think this is fair.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 10:59 AM

11 replies

Oct 22, 2014 11:05 AM in response to JoniTilt

Boy, I'm with you! I like the older version of Pages (4.3) way better than the 5.2.2 version. Some of the things that were obvious in the older version, I cannot find a way to do at all in the newer one.

I would prefer to not update and to use my version 4.3. I resent that Apple has made it difficult to continue to use the program that I like in favor of forcing us to upgrade to something that I find less user friendly.

Nov 18, 2014 3:20 PM in response to JoniTilt

I have document that Numbers will not open now, saying I have to upgrade to the new version. There are many documents that I can open. What's with that. Ridiculous.

This is the kind of strong-arming that could force me to leave Apple. I don't mind when I know that certain apps will not be supported in a new OS, and need to upgraded. I can choose to upgrade the OS or not. But here is a document that I rely on that I can no longer open. No warning. *****.

Nov 18, 2014 5:55 PM in response to JoniTilt

There is nothing in Pages v5.2.2 or v5.5.1 (or their Numbers counter-parts) that will serve you well. The process of upgrading downgrading to Pages v5 (any version) will silently move your App Store purchased Pages ’09 v4.3 and Numbers v2.3 into /Applications/iWork '09. Your iWork ’09 DVD sourced versions will just remain in their original /Applications/iWork '09 folder location.

Continue to use the iWork ’09 applications, as they retain about 100 plus features more than the new products. Remember that the Pages v5+ and Numbers v3+ applications use an entirely incompatible document format that is not backwards compatible with the iWork '09 suite. If you try to open one of these hideous documents in an iWork '09 application, you will get the dialog that you need a newer version of _____ to open it. That is Apple speak for we made a document you cannot open with the retired software your are using. With Pages v5+ and Numbers v3+, any double-click of an iWork '09 document will open it in the newer software — filtering out features that are unsupported — and then autosave will write back over the top of your original — vanquishing your work. Keep backups.

If you remember how Apple treated AppleWorks users, here it comes again with iWork ’09 documents.

Jul 26, 2015 9:35 AM in response to orcaslynn

I have had enough of this Problem. I do a couple simple spreadsheets an update them once a month. It is not worth it for me to do updates and learn about new features I don't want. I have two choices buy a pc or take my imac offline. I spend more time on my ipad so I will go offline. I read this morning that Windows 10 will also force feed unless you have the pro edition. Next for me will be my trusty pencil.

Jul 26, 2015 3:26 PM in response to Masssboy

Masssboy wrote:

I have had enough of this Problem. I do a couple simple spreadsheets an update them once a month. It is not worth it for me to do updates and learn about new features I don't want. I have two choices buy a pc or take my imac offline. I spend more time on my ipad so I will go offline. I read this morning that Windows 10 will also force feed unless you have the pro edition. Next for me will be my trusty pencil.

If your iPad is currently on iOS 8, which it probably is, it is creating Pages 5 format documents which can not be read by Pages '09.

How much use will your iPad be offline?

Sort of defeats the purpose of having one.

Peter

Jul 26, 2015 3:31 PM in response to JoniTilt

JoniTilt wrote:

I've been able to open my files if I double-click on them, but I always have to 'edit a copy'. Still a complete pain.

Have tried to go back to the previous version but it says it won't work on my system (Mavericks).

Whatever the older version of Pages you are talking about, that is not true.

All the iWork Apps work, right up to the latest OSX 10.10.4. Just make sure you update them to their latest versions, v4.3 for iWork and v3.03 for iWork '08.

It is Pages 5.5.3 that will not work on any older systems.

Peter

Frustrating Forced upgrade on Numbers and Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.