Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule + Yosemite = FAIL

I've got a wifi network up and running fine through my brand new Time Capsule. All of my family's wireless devices (two iPads, two iPhones, two Apple TV's, old MacBook Pro running Mavericks and a fairly new PC) connects fine and get the expected transfer speeds. All of them... Except my brand new MacBook Air running Yosemite! It connects to the network but can't get on the internet. It worked fine yesterday here at home and the MacBook Air connected fine to my office wifi earlier today. But when I came back home today it connects to the wifi but can't access the Internet. No changes have been made to the wifi or the settings on the MBA. But I had the exact same problem on Monday night but after trying to resolve the issue for a couple of hours without any luck I put the MBA aside for a while, maybe an hour or so, and when I picked it up again it was connected to the Internet! Anyone stumble on this issue since Yosemite was released?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 12:45 PM

16 replies

Oct 30, 2014 2:13 AM in response to rasmusber

We can commiserate.. does that help??

Yosemite made some disaster.. in its networking.. I have a perfectly happily working Mountain Lion.. and I just put another computer on the network with Yosemite.. and now I have multiplied my data disk in the TC to 3 different versions, data, data-1 and data-2.. all of which my computer informs me are offline.

So whatever Yosemite is doing it is not just affecting itself.. it is affecting everything in the network.

My recommendation you will see in several threads.

Start over. Factory reset the TC. Give it all short names.. eg TCgen5 and use two wireless names.. TC24ghz and TC5ghz .. make sure the disk in the TC is still named data. Make sure all the passwords are short, with no spaces and pure alphanumeric .. mix of case and numbers.

If the MBA start again.. take off the wireless security.

No luck then if you upgrade installed Yosemite.. I would go back and clean install it instead.. or go to Mavericks until Apple release the bug lessened version.. they never release bug free versions now because they spend all the programmers time on the next version.. instead of fixing the last lot of bugs they are busy making new ones.

Nov 18, 2014 12:47 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

William Kucharski wrote:

Absolutely nothing wrong with Wi-Fi and multiple Yosemite and iOS 8 devices here connecting to a Time Capsule.

I put one Yosemite computer into the network.. and the whole thing went berserk.. exactly as Bob stated.. with multiple computer names changing on a daily basis.. and therefore TM needing to do multiple full backups.

It is not really helping the OP greatly, or do you think it is all in his head??

Nov 18, 2014 3:34 PM in response to LaPastenague

Yeah, it isn't working right, no doubt really in my mind, my iMac is doing the number adding thing. My mac book pro wouldn't let me into the back ups, good thing I checked and didn't wait until I needed it actually. iMac couldn't see the back up disk blah blah blah. Did a complete factory reset. Still looks "iffy". I had loaded Time Machine Editor on my Mac Book Pro; fair enough maybe that is part of the problem; I don't think so though. I don't think Airport capsule ever worked quite right. Some of it user error in my case but then again Apple didn't used to allow some user errors, and it is stuff you only do occasionally and don't feel you have to be an expert on? Am I being unresonable?

Nov 26, 2014 12:45 AM in response to nmjake

nmjake wrote:

"...parenthesesed numbers appended to Mac name, and completely messed up WiFi link to Time Capsule. It's a comfort to know I'm not alone, but I'd really appreciate a solution. Have you found one?"

I had the numbers appended to the time machine sparse bundle name bug with my mid-2009 Macbook Pro running 10.10. For me, it was solved when I went to System Preferences..--->Energy Saver and unchecked the "Wake for network access" option. Issue is still fixed for me after upgrading to 10.10.1. Hope you have the same luck with this as I did.

Nov 28, 2014 3:30 PM in response to nmjake

I had the same problem once i installed Yosemite as an upgrade from Mavericks.

My MacBook also became very slow. This i concluded was a Hard Disk problem, which was somehow amplified once i migrated/upgraded into Yosemite.

I changed the conventional 750GB HD into a 500GB SSD, and of course i performed a clean/fresh installation of Yosemite. Note: I still use the old HD as an external drive. I inserted it into a USB box, and it is still bootable (in case there is something o forgotten to copy). You can do a clean Yosemite installation via a flash drive. There are plenty of articles on the web on how to do this.

The pros: None of these problems are now present, including connectivity issues with TC, and the MacBook is like a rocket now. Unbelievable difference!!!

The cons: Considerable time lost in preparation for the clean install, copying important files for reuse, like mail and so many others, plus of course the reinstallation of the software i had previously under Mavericks. But in the end it was worth the time i invested into this.

Note: I have an older iMac, a fairly new Mac Mini both currently running Mavericks. If i decide to upgrade them into Yosemite, i will be doing the same thing exactly, i.e. a clean install. You will ask, why not use the files from TC backups? Well, i considered there might have been rubbish stored there from various applications/software i had installed and run over the last couple of years, and didn't want the risk of importing rubbish back into the system.

Another important note folks: Do not install adobe flash. Ok if you really need it, but i will not install it ever again. In general, DO NOT install applications not approved by Apple. Ok there are no viruses, but there are so many other things, which contribute to slow down your computer.

Paris

Nov 28, 2014 4:09 PM in response to Paristhea

This is totally the right way to do things.. and you are of course now lucky .. that you have a Mac you can at least open so you can change the disk.. clean install on SSD will breathe new life into any computer.. In fact once you use SSD you will never go back to even fastest hard disk, at least for boot and applications. Large drives are still the best for storage.

And clean install is a comment I often make here.. issues with upgrade installs have always plagued every OS I have ever used.. Always clean install for the most trouble free computer.. I would also strongly recommend you take a clone from the drive right now.. I think a proper clone software is best eg CCC but even disk utility can create a clone albeit not bootable. You only need a USB of enough capacity for the install.. in fact nowadays you can probably fit it on SDcard or big USB stick. That means you have a working clone of clean install.. !!

Tell us if other issues arise with the Yosemite/Time Capsule/Time Machine.. as there are still some basic network problems that I do not think go away just because of clean installs.. as I posted below.. I put a clean install Yosemite computer into the network and it cause mass chaos as it changed name constantly.

Nov 29, 2014 6:53 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for the above comments. Please note that changing the HD to an SSD, was a 5 minute job, literally. Ok i did some research online (like youtube) before i carried out the work, but it is dead easy and can be done by anyone.

The multiple names problem seems to have gone away on my Macbook, for now.

I also had this problem when i just upgraded from Mavericks via the App Store. (on the old HD). In fact, it wasn't hanging the name, just was adding (1) (2) (3) etc next to the computer name at irregular intervals and i not figure out why. I had tried correcting this in System Preferences -> Sharing -> Computer Name, but it hadn't worked.

However, i agree that there seem to be some connectivity issues with Yosemite. One example that applied to me, there was difficulty connecting to my time capsule, and the way i solved this was by resetting the TC and letting Yosemite rediscover it as a new TC. I consider this has to do with communication protocols that could be different on Yosemite. Before i applied this solution, i had to restart my Macbook regularly, and this would enable the TC to be connected. One more problem i had, was with my magic mouse. Before i performed the clean install, i would lose connectivity with the BT mouse, after a computer sleep mode. This was indeed very frustrating, but again it is gone now.

Now thankfully, everything seems to be ok. But i have to be honest, i will not automatically upgrade to the next OS X release in the future. Not until i see what problems other people face. I wasted considerable time in fixing the latest problems, and although it is like i have a Ferrari now (brand new super fast laptop) i would have been happier if Apple advised their users to perform a clean install rather than an upgrade from Mavericks.

For the record, my MacBook is mid 2012, i7, 15-inch MacBook Pro, model 9,1 (non-Retina).

I will also add that Yosemite is an excellent OS, it is like a breath of fresh air. And i also know that Apple will fix whatever issues are still there, in a very short space of time. But i have two more devices an iMac and a MacMini. Do i want to go through the same as i did for my MacBook (i.e. clean install)? Not for a while!!

Paris

Jan 21, 2015 2:00 PM in response to nmjake

rMBP 2014 + TC here

Facing annoying disconnecting issues (connection failures)....TC is not seen by Airport Utility, however seen by Finder at the same time...also read by Itunes as music files are stored on TC.

How did you reconfigure TC? Also, how did you manually rename it?

Thanks!

Edit - Mea Culpa. Found the answers here Resetting an AirPort base station FAQ - Apple Support

Time Capsule + Yosemite = FAIL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.