Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded iMovie to 10.0.6. No longer able to "share" to DVD. Any ideas?

Wish I had not changed from iMovies11. Is it possible to run two versions and if so where can I get the older version. Can I delete the recent update and if now, can anyone help with suggestions as to how I can continue to make DVDs. Please!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 2:10 PM

Yes, you can run 2 versions but you don't want to use the Share ➙ iDVD method of older iMovie versions. You want to use the Share ➙ Media Browser method and then access the movie in iDVD via the Media Browser.

Otherwise export the slideshow out of iMovie as a QT movie file via the File ➙ Share ➙ File menu option.

User uploaded file

Select size as 854 x 480 or 480p.

Open iDVD, select a theme and drag the exported QT movie file into the open iDVD window being careful to avoid any drop zones.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best quality video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

User uploaded file

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2014 2:10 PM in response to Dougal Westie

Yes, you can run 2 versions but you don't want to use the Share ➙ iDVD method of older iMovie versions. You want to use the Share ➙ Media Browser method and then access the movie in iDVD via the Media Browser.

Otherwise export the slideshow out of iMovie as a QT movie file via the File ➙ Share ➙ File menu option.

User uploaded file

Select size as 854 x 480 or 480p.

Open iDVD, select a theme and drag the exported QT movie file into the open iDVD window being careful to avoid any drop zones.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best quality video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

User uploaded file

Oct 23, 2014 12:51 AM in response to Old Toad

Many thank for your very helpful reply.Can you help me with how to get iMovie11 back on my Mac. I have the iLife Install DVD Version 11. Could I try to install the iMovie programme and if so, what are the implications for the 10.0.6 version now on the machine. I would happily go back to that familiar and DVD friendly version. Thanks again for your help. So helpful in the middle of my panic!

Oct 23, 2014 8:40 AM in response to Dougal Westie

Do a custom install from the iLife 11 disk for just iMovie. Move your current iMovie version in to a folder in the Applications folder until you get the older version installed and renamed appropriately. Then you can move the current iMovie app back to the root level of the Applications folder.

If you have Time Machine setup for your Mac you can restore the older versions from a backup made before you upgraded to Yosemite.

Upgraded iMovie to 10.0.6. No longer able to "share" to DVD. Any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.