Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Yosemite my iMac is awake from sleep

Hello everyone., I posted a similar post here Yosemite: Power Nap enabled on a 2011 iMac?

I try to explain better here. After I installed Yosemite on my iMac mid 2011 (iMac12,2), the computer is awaking from sleep mode several times in the night. The screen remains black and it's behaving like Power Nap is acting, although is not possible, Power Nap is not enabled on this Mac and not visible on Energy Saver prefpane. Also, the option "Wake for network access" is *not* enabled at all. The awakening is lasting for 1-2 minutes and I don't hear any sound, even though new mails are received, then sleeping again. I deleted Energy Saver prefs: com.apple.PowerManagement.plist in ~/Library/Preferences but with no success. Anyone had the same problem? I would prefer to use Stop option instead of shutting down completely, too much convenient starting from where I left a few hours earlier.

Thanks for reading,

Raffaele

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 12:26 PM

16 replies

Oct 27, 2014 10:12 AM in response to llou_sfx

Hi llou_sfx, the trouble is still going on. Let's see if we have in common any peripherals:

- Lacie 5big Thunderbolt drive

- Jawbone Big Jambox connected via USB (just for recharging)

- Elgato EyeTV

Except for Lacie drive because is needed, I tried to disconnect Jambox and apparently didn't happen many times.

Now I want to try disconnecting EyeTV tonight.

Only 2 people with this trouble? Too strange, for me could be any software installed on the Mac, let's help each other please.

Thanks for replying, I let you know.

Oct 27, 2014 1:38 PM in response to macraider

Hi macraider,

I also have a thunderbolt HDD, and haven't unplugged it. It worked fine with on Mavericks.

When I look the Console I noticed that the imac would wake often, every 2 hours or so. The screen remains off, but the computer is on for a minute.

I checked the network settings, reset the SMC and the PRAM, cheched the energy-saving params and ... time will tell if it worked. I'll let you know.

I found lots of persons on apple discussions having the same trouble....😟

Oct 27, 2014 2:06 PM in response to macraider

Ok here are some suggestions:

1) I own a Macbook Pro... So dont know how the IMac Power Nap settings are...

However on the Macbook Pro we have a Power Nap that can be enabled on 'Battery" or "power adapter"

I dont know if iMac even has the "battery" option... But I would imagine that your iMac corresponds to the "power adapter" option... So you would have to untick power nap under that heading...

2) In Preferences -> Energy Saver ->Schedule... You will find more settings that you may find of interest...

User uploaded file

Oct 31, 2014 11:29 AM in response to llou_sfx

I have found a temporary solution but with a little trouble:

type in the terminal:

sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy-c "Add :ProgramArguments: string --no-multicast"/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.discoveryd.plist

then reboot your Mac. If something went wrong, you can revert with:

sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy-c Revert/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.discoveryd.plist

Connect wi-fi in System Prefs or Menu bar and choose your wi-fi network again. The little trouble I mentioned is that you don't see the power strength of your wi-fi in the menu bar, will be shown as disconnected, but is not.

Please let me know if worked for you also!

After Yosemite my iMac is awake from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.