Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Wife's Photos are Driving me nuts!! Showing up on my iPhone and iPhoto

We both have 5s's she is still with IOS 7.x (whatever the latest/last was). My Laptop is a MBP circa 2007 Model A 1229. Currently using Yosemite. The issues I am having were present with all of Mavericks as well.

The problem is I cannot stop her photos from automatically coming to my iPhone and hence to my iPhoto. I can stop them if I turn off the features we both would like to use. My last guess is that some how I wound up with a "Subscription" to her photos.

I'm afraid the relevance of us both using one AppleID may be the culprit as well. There are aspects of using the same ID we like - such as Find My iPhone/Mac and being able to see each others location.

Back to the "Subscription" idea - I have no recall of accepting any invite from her nor can I find any evidence of a Subscription other than the problem I am having. For that matter I can't find a way to send an invite for troubleshooting purposes.

Does anyone have a first thought that could get me on my way here to resolve this? Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 4:26 PM

i have heard of this problem before. it is because you have one apple ID between you. ideally you need to have a individual apple id.

you can sign out of iCloud on one device and sign into a new account. however this will result in all the photos stored on the current iCloud will be lost. however your camera roll should be unaffected.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2014 4:26 PM in response to buz

i have heard of this problem before. it is because you have one apple ID between you. ideally you need to have a individual apple id.

you can sign out of iCloud on one device and sign into a new account. however this will result in all the photos stored on the current iCloud will be lost. however your camera roll should be unaffected.

Oct 22, 2014 5:02 PM in response to Spencer87

Spencer87 - What I don't understand is why reverse isn't true, meaning, my photos do not stream to her phone ... even though we have the same settings. It's a one way street and this is what leads me to believe there is a "Subscription" in play - that I do not ever recall seeing or accepting.

Thank you for the reply.

Oct 23, 2014 10:01 AM in response to buz

Just an update - more info I do not understand.

Yesterday afternoon I went to work at 3:15 arrived around 3:45 (due on shift at 4PM). Around 4:45 (or 5) I looked at my iPhone Photos and three photos my wife had taken were on my phone. She had taken them at 4PM and later - we were 20 miles apart when she took the photos.

How does this happen please? It was my understanding that in order to share photos you needed to be on the same WiFi Network?? Can someone please straighten me out on this? My iCloud Photo Library (Settings > Photos & Camera > iCloud Photo Library) is not and has not been on.

I'm iPhone 5s - iOS 8.1 and she is 5s iOS 7.x (I think it's 7.2).

Oct 23, 2014 10:34 AM in response to buz

No, in order to sync the photo's the only thing you need is to be logged in on the same iCloud account you don't need to be on the same WiFi network.

I would recommend that your wife updates to iOS 8.1 and that you both login on a separate iCloud account. After that you both should join the same familysharing group (hence the update to iOS 8, it's a new function).

This way you both have your own account with your own private space, your own pictures, your own iMessages etc. but you can still see each others location, you can still retrieve each others iPhone in case it gets lost or stolen, you can still use each others purchased apps, ebooks, music, you still can schedule in a shared calendar, you can still share reminders (groceries perhaps?) and even share a photo album with photo's you both care about.

It's a win win situation.

To learn more about Family Sharing click here

As of iOS 8 there is really no need to share the same iCloud account, at least in my opinion.

Edit: logging out doesn't delete any photos from the cloud and the reason why your picture aren't send to her phone could be because you haven't activated synchronizing on your iPhone.

Oct 23, 2014 11:01 AM in response to Lastminuteguy

Thank you Lastminuteguy.

I've reread your reply a couple times and it indeed sounds like the answer to my difficulties. I'll get to work on that right away. Maybe if I'm lucky I can convince my daughter to join the "familysharing group" as well. 🙂

I think my day is getting brighter. Thanks again.

Oct 23, 2014 11:13 AM in response to buz

You are very welcome and I hope you will enjoy the new function I mention, I know I do.

For full disclosure, do know that a important condition to use Family Sharing is that the whole group will use the CC connected to the iCloud account of the 'organizer'. I don't expect any problems regarding your wife, your daughter however can purchase apps/books/music without your permission is she is 18 years or older, if she is younger you will get a permission pop-up as showed in the link below. If she is hesitant about you knowing her every move, you can assure her by telling her she can opt out to send her location to her parents. This is a universal option (i.e. no location means not in Find My iPhone and not in Find My Friends).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201089

Oct 23, 2014 1:00 PM in response to Lastminuteguy

Great disclosure and fully understood. Regarding my daughter ... perhaps bribery through the CC will keep her opted in on the rest of it. LOL

FYI - having difficulty upgrading my wife's iPhone, it's saying there isn't enough room 'on the phone', but t appears to be referring to iCloud storage space. IDK - just now getting a chance to look at it more closely. Maybe upgrading through iTunes will be easier.

Oct 23, 2014 1:01 PM in response to buz

buz wrote:

Great disclosure and fully understood. Regarding my daughter ... perhaps bribery through the CC will keep her opted in on the rest of it. LOL

FYI - having difficulty upgrading my wife's iPhone, it's saying there isn't enough room 'on the phone', but t appears to be referring to iCloud storage space. IDK - just now getting a chance to look at it more closely. Maybe upgrading through iTunes will be easier.

That would be the internal memory and not icloud storage for the backup.

you can update to iTunes without having to delete anything.

My Wife's Photos are Driving me nuts!! Showing up on my iPhone and iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.