Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite has no sort by name in Mail

Yosemite has what I would say is a bug- it is certainly at least a dropped feature.

I'm sure that most people view mail sorted by date as do I. But sometimes I want to view all mail from a particular sender. All previous versions of mail allowed you to simply click on any mail in the inbox and then simply click the "sort by name" tab at the top to see all letters sorted by name, beginning with the selected email. Now in Yosemite, instead of beginning with the selected email, it instead starts at "A" or "Z" ignoring the selected email. I would suggest that this is helpful to exactly nobody. I'm hoping this is just a bug/oversight that will be quickly fixed. "Sort by name" is king of important to those of who are heavy users.

And yes, I understand that I can do a search. But this brings up every email that even mentions the sender and searching and then sorting is super cumbersome compared to the one click method that has seemingly been abandoned. Hoping there's a fix in sight!

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 7:11 PM

Please send your feedback directly to Apple requesting to re enable that feature:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

21 replies

Oct 27, 2014 10:57 AM in response to bodyxs

So are you saying this is in fact an "as designed" removal of functionality? Hard to believe that I'm not just missing something. Can others confirm the same loss of functionality in Yosemite? I guess I'm just very surprised that is that's the case, this isn't a bigger problem for others. Feel like I must be missing something.

Oct 28, 2014 1:32 PM in response to Space Ranger

The system sorts them, but takes your original message out of view, forcing you to scroll and search for your results. This was never the case, and again, if you have 7 email accounts to manage with thousands of emails, it takes productivity and throws it out the window. Now forced to used the search function which is as slow if not slower due to typing. Why bother putting sort buttons there at all if you just have to re-scroll manually.

If anyone knows if there is a setting, please speak up. I have verified the issue with phone support as well, or they are missing something too.

Nov 5, 2014 3:04 AM in response to World3d

Same problem here; doing a simple sort effectively makes things even harder to find! This is vexing, despite sustained efforts to troubleshoot and find answers. No luck.

I vaguely recall this exact same thing happening after a previous major OS upgrade, and the problem magically went away after an update. Searching and sorting email is such a necessary and common task, I hope this bug (or feature?) gets squished quickly. Or maybe even come up with a brilliant Mail redesign to better deal with the tens of thousands of emails and threads that are now nearly unmanageable?

May I just pause to rant: e-mail, once a marvel of modern communication, is now a source of perpetual discontent. Am I allowed to pull the plug? Please, email your response (kidding).

Yosemite has no sort by name in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.